Author Topic: Bavaria 44 as a Bluewater/Liveaboard  (Read 8210 times)

Needsailing

• Swab
Bavaria 44 as a Bluewater/Liveaboard
« on: October 22 2015, 14:07 »
I would love to here from Bavaria 44 owners/sailors who could give me there thoughts on using a 44 for an extended Med cruise and possible Transatlantic circuit. This would take place over two years with a young family. Things of interest would be heavy weather capability, steering gear reliabilty, Volvo inboard reliability and anything else that may be useful to know or watch out for. If anyone has actually done something similar in a B44 then may be ideas of upgrade etc. thank you in advance.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Re: Bavaria 44 as a Bluewater/Liveaboard
« Reply #1 on: October 22 2015, 22:08 »
A lot would depend on the age and condition of the boat. Earlier this year,  Ray from "Karma Waters" single-handed his Bavaria 44 ( 2002 model from memory) around Cape Horn on a trip ( partly the wrong way) from the Med to Australia. If your boat has no damage, it should go anywhere.

Other than creature comforts, I would tend to go for ISAF cat 1 requirements for Oceans.  For the Med, a good Bimini, 100m of chain, a decent anchor, heaps of fenders, an anchor thief. For the Med, I suggest the book,   "Harbour Manoeuvres" written by a couple of Germans but translated into English.

Ray found motoring in rolly waves with low fuel levels a problem with the motor sucking air in the fuel line. No design issues but ensure maintenance and rig checks are done.

Check out the forums here for particular issues you are likely to get. 

raig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

Needsailing

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: October 23 2015, 09:05 »
Hi Craig, thanks for the reply. The boats in my price range would be the 2002 vintage so it is interesting to hear of a trip round the horn. I'll have a google! I don't suppose anyone has an email for Ray off Karma Water?

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 23 2015, 09:46 »
I have a 44 based in the med, it is a very sturdy boat and can cope with most of the conditions found there.  The majority of the 44's were delivered to charter companies with  the 4 cabin version the most common, many are still being used and are a testament to their build quality. Like most boats of this age  condition will vary according to how well it has been maintain, and how much abuse it has had to withstand.  The Volvo D2-55 engine is a low revving unit based on an old Perkins design, the only real expense that I have had in 5 years is the replacement of the injectors. Spares can be very expensive so be careful especially problems with the heat exchanger. I had the rudder bearings replaced about 3 years ago. The sail drive needs to be checked especially the rubber seal that should be replaced every few years. 

Needsailing

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: October 23 2015, 15:08 »
Hi Brian

Is your boat an ex charter version, if so did you make any changes when you bought her?

Thanks
Iain

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 23 2015, 15:24 »
I have a 49 of a similar vintage which has done a transatlantic circuit.

They a good sturdy boats and will cope with it well and in comfort.

No major short-comings or issues, other than the usual ones that you'll get with most boats.

They sail very well, are nicely balanced, and are well behaved in a big sea.  Get a 3rd reef put in the main though.

If your budget can stretch to a 49, go and have a look at one.

Brian

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: October 23 2015, 17:57 »
My boat is an ex charter boat with in mast furling, which was purchased when 5 years old, and is the 4 cabin variant. The main changes that I have made are adding solar panels, increasing the battery capacity, fitting fans to the cabins, cockpit cushions, cockpit speakers, replacing worn upholstery in the cabins. Passerelle Changing the anchor from a CQR to a Manson.  Every year I spend small amounts to replace and repair the water and toilet systems.

Needsailing

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: October 24 2015, 14:56 »
Thanks Brian
The more I read and learn about them the better it sounds, I can't stretch the budget to a 49 though.
I would be looking at an ex charter also, I will have a budget for power upgrades such as wind and solar and also re rig before the Atlantic. Thanks for all the advice.

Regards
Iain

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #8 on: October 25 2015, 09:30 »
Have the surveyor do a thorough inspection of the rudder bearings, top, bottom and bottom bearing housing (requires dropping the rudder to get a proper look, but worth it). That vintage is likely to have JP3 bearings, which were... troublesome. If she still has the original Seacocks, it'd be prudent to replace those as well. Rig, sails and engine (especially the heat exchanger/exhaust bits) are other costly parts that would be reaching the age for a thorough overhaul/replacement.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Needsailing

• Swab
« Reply #9 on: October 26 2015, 14:28 »
Thanks Yngmar, some good points. Would you say the heat exchanger/ Exhaust wear is more weighted to Engine Hours or more just age of the engine.

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 26 2015, 14:42 »
Thanks Yngmar, some good points. Would you say the heat exchanger/ Exhaust wear is more weighted to Engine Hours or more just age of the engine.

Somewhat dependent on engine hours, but more dependent on how the engine was used, i.e. if it was ran a lot in idle or without load there can be significant buildup in the exhaust. This is what my injector (on a MD22) looked like (yes the steel had simply crumbled away under the hose):

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #11 on: October 27 2015, 01:58 »
Needsailing,

Sorry  don't have Ray's current email. "Karma Waters" is an ex-charter boat bought by Ray in 2010 in Croatia. It therefore had 8 years as a charter boat. As mentioned in the replies above, it is not the Bavaria build you need to worry about, but how well the engine has been maintained and the state of the rigging. Most other things are relatively minor compared with the purchase price. Assuming that a ex-charter boat is all worn out is mostly incorrect. Ex-charter boats may have superficial damage but generally, the companies do regular services etc.

I have seen a few boats with leaks around the sugar scoop where they banged into a quay and leaks around the stanchions where charters get them hooked up with the neighbours. Teak might need replacing at that age. I think the comments in previous replies cover most things to look out for.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 28 2015, 08:20 »

Somewhat dependent on engine hours, but more dependent on how the engine was used, i.e. if it was ran a lot in idle or without load there can be significant buildup in the exhaust. This is what my injector (on a MD22) looked like (yes the steel had simply crumbled away under the hose):

Which part is this?

Yngmar

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 28 2015, 08:44 »
Which part is this?

The injector where the spent raw water hose joins the exhaust elbow. On the upside, the elbow itself was fine and this is a much cheaper part.