Author Topic: panel 301 not working?  (Read 6740 times)

jo_que_se

• Swab
panel 301 not working?
« on: September 28 2015, 17:04 »
Hi to all,

I've recently bought a 2007 Bav30, and it looks like it has some problems with certain buttons of the panle 301

If I press the CABIN 1, F4 and DECK FLOOD buttons nothing happens...

All the cabin light are working under the cabin 2 button (maybe the previous owner fixed that way...)

When pressing the F4, no relay sound is heard at all...

Any ideas?

Is that some options are disabled on the Bav30 or is more like a failure?

Thanks!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: panel 301 not working?
« Reply #1 on: September 29 2015, 08:32 »
Hi Jo,
Are you sure it's the panel rather than the circuit that isn't working. The reason I ask is that some time ago I had a problem with the steaming light on the mast and the deck floodlight also, not coming on when switched from the distribution panel. To cut a long story short, the problem was down to corrosion on the ends of the ordinary copper wire that Bavaria had used for the various wiring circuits on my boat. The corrosion allowed volts to reach those lights, but didn't allow amps to get there in sufficient quantity to light those bulbs up. Changing to tinned copper wire and re-wiring the lighting circuits made all the difference. The point being that the panel was working perfectly, but it needed the use of an avo-meter to determine where the problem actually lay.

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: September 29 2015, 13:02 »
Does the yellow indication light flash, if so check the fuses inside panel. I've attached a panel manual for info

Stevie

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: September 29 2015, 18:56 »
By your answers I asume that all the buttons should work and give some kind of feedback when are pressed...

Salty, I'll check if there is +12V coming out from the proper faston terminal, but in the case of F4, at least, the internal relay should be heard (I think)

Mia, thanks for the manual! I've checked the fuses and they are OK. No flash at all and the LED's are allways OFF.

It is like the button itself is not working or maybe the power drivers of the PCB  (BTS840S2 transistors)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: September 30 2015, 05:30 »
Hi Jo,
The point I had tried to make was that the corrosion was not sufficient to prevent volts from arriving at the light fittings, all twelve of them were there, absolutely no doubt about it. The problem was that the green corrosion on the ends of the plain copper wire was stopping the amps, needed to light the bulbs up, from getting through. An AVO meter reading of twelve volts will not therefore provide the whole story. Effectively it can be likened to a leaky water tap that is jammed solid so that you cannot move it, but still allowing water to dribble out. It will let your water hose fill up after a week or two, but that's not much good to you if you want to fill your water tanks in the next ten minutes.

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #5 on: September 30 2015, 20:46 »
I understand you Salty.

First I'll check the presence of +12V in the panel output terminal and if there is a good voltage there, then I'll disconnect the wires and make a "local" test with something attached directly to the output using short and new wires (like a new spare bulb for example). If it works, then I'll be sure that the problem is in the wiring...

Don't you think?

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #6 on: October 02 2015, 09:19 »
In my past experience when a lamp fails the yellow LED that switches the light on flashes to indicate a problem.

If you pull the spade connector off the circuit board and then test for 12V on the board, if voltage present then as mentioned before it looks like a wiring problem, at times the equipment end has corrosion and could cause the fault. Its better to start fault finding where the supply comes form and work your way down the circuit until you have no voltage, then there lies the fault. Oh and prove the meter works by testing on the battery.

Stevie

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #7 on: October 02 2015, 20:58 »
Thanks Stevie...

This weekend i'll work on it and will let you know the results...
 ;)

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
« Reply #8 on: October 03 2015, 13:08 »
Hi

On my 33C (2006) the cabin1 button is not connected.  All lights are on cab2 button. On bigger  boats they have separated due to heavy loads and distance.

Wgat do you have on F4?

Regards
Hratch
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #9 on: October 03 2015, 15:38 »
Ok crystal the same as my 30c

In the F4 i would like to connect the VHF. Now it is connected in the F2, but the F2 delivers 5A and the VHF manual requires 5.5A. (The F4 channel can source up to 120W)

Bye!

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #10 on: October 09 2015, 02:28 »
Hi not all the "F" buttons have a related relay, so check the output terminals with a multimeter. The audible click may not always be heard either.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV Synergy
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

jo_que_se

• Swab
« Reply #11 on: October 13 2015, 13:40 »
That's right Mirror45184.

Only F4 and F5 has a Relay and the one that doesn't works is F4. After some tests I know that the signal that controls the Relay is not working (I swapped the F5 and F4 realys and F5 works ok, so the relay are OK).

I have no schematic so I will asume it and forget about the F4 channel  :(

All of you have the "DECK FLOOD" switch working? What is it for?  (I'm not english speaker, so I understand the words but not sure about the meaning of "deck flood" switch?

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #12 on: October 13 2015, 14:29 »
All of you have the "DECK FLOOD" switch working? What is it for?
On most Bavs (all Bavs??) the light fixture unit at the front of the mast has has two lamps - one pointing forward - steaming light (on engine power in other words), and one pointing downwards to light the bow area - deck flood light.
(on my boat there are only pictures on the panel so I assume this is what they mean in boats where they put words).
On my boat it works.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004