Author Topic: PVC RUBBER STRAKE  (Read 4384 times)

Peter Abrahamson

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA VISION 50
  • Boat Year: 2007
PVC RUBBER STRAKE
« on: October 05 2015, 14:29 »
I have a Bavaria Vision 50 2007 Model.....unfortunately when docking the other day 14 to 20 kts wind bumped the stern of my boat and damaged the u shaped Rubber strake. I am not sure one even calls it that but I need to get a replacement part yet cannot seem to find it anywhere ....is there anyone out there who know where I can get this part?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: PVC RUBBER STRAKE
« Reply #1 on: October 05 2015, 18:07 »
Try your local Bavaria distributor. If in the UK that would be Clipper Marine at Swanwick.

landes_h

• Able Seaman
  • Blue sky sailor
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 06 2015, 07:44 »
If you are in Germany you get Original Bavaria Parts now from SVB ( www.svb.de ).
I would not replace immediately, there might be more "aggresive" parkings. Mine also looks a bit used because of that. That is actually the purpose of that bumper.
Good luck.
Greetings
Horst
Bavaria 38 / 2003 berth Portoroz, Slowenia

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: October 06 2015, 09:24 »
I priced mine up 4 years ago at Clipper Hamble, it was £250. So cleaned it up, still looking good.

Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: October 06 2015, 14:20 »
What do you clean it with?
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: October 06 2015, 14:45 »
It was bad, with a film of uv hardened crud. I used a blade ( swiss army knife  ) to remove the crud, took an effort to do it. Then rubbed it down with sandpaper 80 grit then 600 grit, then a paste of Jif.

After that polished it a number of times.

Was it difficult?  No but took a time to do it. About a week but when you live on the boat time is not an issue. The blade was the hardest on my wrists, at 73 you take your time, couple of feet a day.

But it's worth it in the end.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 07 2015, 00:28 »
If you reversed into a quay, I would check for any leaks as any small ding can crack the join that the rubber covers. In most boats this means crawling into the space behind the aft cabins. I watched a Bavaria back into the quay at Mykonos in strong winds and split the join between the deck and hull. The rubber almost fell off. His fender popped out and he hit at 3 knots. Not nice. This appears to be the most vulnerable part of the boat to manoeuvring accidents.

Jif usually brings up the rubber to almost new condition. I can confirm that Odysseus is spot on with the repair methodology. I have seen this method used effectively on a number of boats.

Jif also removes the algae stains and fuel spill marks that tend to congregate in the low point at the centre of the strip.

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast

Peter Abrahamson

• Swab
  • Boat Model: BAVARIA VISION 50
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 08 2015, 11:58 »
Thanks everyone for the info