Author Topic: B36/2004 - Can the top cabinets be removed?  (Read 3118 times)

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
B36/2004 - Can the top cabinets be removed?
« on: October 02 2015, 19:07 »
Planning my work of re- wiring the power to the instruments at the helm, I find the access to the interior of the distribution panel almost impossible.
I just happened to look at a neighbor's 2001 model - the whole plywood panel carrying the switches/fuses/instruments is hinged, and exposes the interior of the distribution panel for easy access. in later designs, for the benefit of cabinets above the navigation table they gave up proper access and now the only access is from the opening of panel 201.
However, if these top cabinets can be removed there will be good access to the wiring in the distribution panel.
All top cabinets throughout the boat seem to be installed the same way, but I could not find how they can be removed - can they?
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: B36/2004 - Can the top cabinets be removed?
« Reply #1 on: October 03 2015, 23:22 »
On my B36 (2002), there is at the back of each of the cabinets, a small piece of plywood screwed on to the underside of the upper horizontal towards the back of each cabinet, and also a similar piece of plywood screwed to the vertical panel forming the back of each of those cabinets. The screws used on my boat had all rusted such that each panel I remove is then fitted with new stainless steel screws.
Once those portable panels have been removed, you will then gain access to any of the existing wires lead through that area, though ideally you need small hands to get at the wires. ('er indoors might be better equipped in that respect).

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: October 04 2015, 19:25 »
Yes - I have noticed these small panels and this is usable if you need to rout a cable from the distribution panel to other parts of the boat (did it several times), but to work on the distribution panel itself conveniently one must remove the whole cabinet above the navigation table, and this I could not find if and how it can be done.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

robgs

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 40
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 14 2015, 16:45 »
Most of those upper cabinet modules are mounted with screws to adjacent units. Screws are visible inside each cabinet on ends and top and are Torqx type.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: October 14 2015, 20:05 »
Most of those upper cabinet modules are mounted with screws to adjacent units. Screws are visible inside each cabinet on ends and top and are Torqx type.

That's not the case on my B36 from 2002 where the upper cabinets are essentially fitted between an upper and a lower plank of wood with the dividers secured top and bottom to those planks, and not to an adjacent module. The planks of wood are then secured either to the forward and aft bulkheads of that space or to a convenient divider such as, for example, the half height bulkheads that separate the aft ends of the port and starboard settees from the galley on one side and the chart table on the other. The outboard edges of those planks may be secured to the hull, but I've not investigated that far.