Author Topic: Percentage of fuel returned to tank for Volvo engines  (Read 4276 times)

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
Percentage of fuel returned to tank for Volvo engines
« on: September 20 2015, 23:54 »
I'm doing a bit of research on diesel fuel problems.

The fuel pump supplies the injectors with more fuel than they need. This excess is required to ensure the injectors do not run out of fuel, suck air and also as a coolant. The warm, unused diesel is then returned to the tank. I've seen figures for Yanmar engines ( on forums but not in Yanmar documentation)  suggesting that up to 40 times more fuel is returned to the tank than the fuel that is used. Large Caterpillar Diesel engines have as low as 5 times returned to the tank but have a fuel cooler on the return line. I note that Volvo (actually Perkins) diesel engines have the same size fuel pump on a range of different sized diesel engines.

My argument is that fuel polishing systems are useless when there is only one fuel tank installed. Running the engine and checking water accumulation and deposit formation in the primary fuel filter seems to be as good as any fuel polishing kit, and a lot cheaper.

Any information or comments would be appreciated.

Craig
s/v "Shirley Valentine"

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Percentage of fuel returned to tank for Volvo engines
« Reply #1 on: September 21 2015, 00:17 »
It's true that there's an element of fuel polishing in a normal engine installation, but it's rather slow.  More importantly, if there is a significant amount of water/crud in the tank, it's likely to lead to blocking of the primary filter, with consequent engine failure.  And, inevitably, this will happen just when you least want it.  So if there's any suspicion of bug, etc, proper fuel polishing has a definite role to play.  When I had bug poluution on my old boat (twice), I rigged up a DIY polishing system and ran the fuel through it numerous times.  With my new Cruiser 37, I started by shock-dosing the tank with biocide, and add more every time I top up.

Craig

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: September 21 2015, 01:28 »
Tiger79, thanks for the reply.

My concern about fuel polishing is that it does not get the grunge off the tank any better as it does not, by itself loosen the grunge. I've also found that on the two occasions I have had diesel bug sufficient to stop the engine, the primary filter was not the cause of the blockage. A lump of gunk the size of a raisin was caught in the fuel cut off valve in both occasions. I believe this is the cause of blockage in most Bavarias and also other makes that have a small aperture in the fuel cut-off valve.

If the Volvo Penta diesel engines have a return of fuel of 40 times, similar to what I think the Yanmar Diesels have ( I may be corrected on these figures) then running my D1-30 for 2 hours would circulate 80 litres of fuel through my filters. I don't think the decolourisation of the fuel is the problem, the lumpy bits in the tank are the real problem if they break off as a lump.

I have fitted a clear plastic strainer in the fuel line between the tank and the fuel cut-off valve. It collects the lumpy bits. I have also observed that the lumpy bits in the strainer are broken down by Startron, an enzyme treatment into particles that do appear to go through the primary filter and possibly, as advertised, are then burnt through the injectors. The Startron does not appear to work as well when the boat lays idle in winter for any length of time. I have had Startron in my fuel for the last 4 years. I have a sneaking suspicion that it only works when the engine is used. I think the Startron may have contributed to the breaking of of the gunge in the tank as both attacks occurred in the first trip of the season in sloppy conditions under motor.

I am trying to determine whether Startron works best whilst the engine is running, either because it requires circulation of the fuel to mix it or possibly needs a bit of heat from the returned fuel to the tank.

The Volvo mechanic and also the Bavaria agent in Malta both swear by the clear plastic strainer being fitted to the fuel line. Many boats in Malta do not use biocides or enzyme treatments. They do not clean their tanks, accept Diesel Bug as a part of life and merely collect the grunge in the strainer which they replace once a year if it becomes close to clogging. They also claim that in most cases, if a strainer is not fitted,  it is the fuel cut-off valve that will block, not the filters or lines. 

Fuel polishing moves a lot of fuel around but does not heat the returned fuel and does not clean the sides of the tank.

I have spoken to numerous "Yachties" that have had diesel bug over the years and many have had re-occurrences, no matter what additive they have been using. Many of the older British makes of boats do not appear to have blockages in their fuel lines or fuel cut-off valves but in their primary filters. I suspect that this is because they may have larger diameter fuel lines allowing the lumps to reach their primary filters where it is caught. There is also a thought that the FAME added to diesel in Europe may be adding to the problem as it attracts a greater range of "bugs" and may also be partially "Clouding" the fuel in low temperatures found when yachts are kept ashore during winter.

Tiger79, did your old boat have a small aperture fuel cut-off valve. Do you know where the blockage actually was? "Yachting Monthly" has published a number of articles in recent years regarding the use of Biocides and Enzymes and rated them under laboratory conditions. Each treatment they reported upon had positives and negatives. None appear to work in all conditions.

I'm looking for a solution that involves minimising the risk through additives, keeping tank full in winter, ensuring water can't enter through the fuel filler pipe but also being able to stop the blockage when this does not work.

Any further thoughts or information would be appreciated.

Regards
Craig
"Shirley Valentine". 

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 21 2015, 08:51 »
The two instances of diesel bug I experienced were on my last boat, a Hallberg-Rassy 352 with the fuel tank in the keel under the engine.  There was no fuel shut-off, simply a pick-up pipe in the tank, leading to the primary fuel filter.  In both cases, the primary filter blocked. 

After the first event, I rigged up a DIY fuel polishing system and cleaned the fuel in the tank as best I could.  However, access to the tank was very limited, so it wasn't a particularly effective clean.  I then started using Soltron, an enzyme additive which Starbrite subsequently marketed as Startron. 

The second bug event was slightly different in that the crud blocking the primary filter wasn't gelatinous lumps but was scaly deposits.  I believe this is the result of the enzyme treatment consuming some of the bug growth.  Again, I did DIY fuel polishing, and I then started using different fuel additives - biocides such as Marine 16 - and changed them every year or so.  This seemed to keep the tank bug-free for the rest of the time I owned the boat.

Based on what you've said about the Bavaria fuel shut-off valve, I may install a pre-filter on mine!

solar

« Reply #4 on: September 21 2015, 08:54 »
Could you please put a picture of the spoken added in line filter installation and size?
As a Bav owner I want to add one before the bugs arrive...
Thanks.

Craig

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 22 2015, 04:19 »
Photo of in line strainer attached. The strainer can be purchased at many auto supply chains in Europe. I bought mine for 4 euros each. They are fitted by cutting the fuel line before the cut-off valve and attaching with jubilee clips on each end.

The photo shows a strainer removed from a Bavaria 52 that has never had any diesel bug treatments and shows over 12 months of build up.