Author Topic: Rudder Stock Locking  (Read 3154 times)

Hadar

• Swab
Rudder Stock Locking
« on: September 16 2015, 15:19 »
Hi,

At a recent voyage at the Ionian i've noticed a problem with the rudder, now back at the marina i wish to dismantle it for a proper fix to the entire system.
The steering arm and AP arm removed easily and the only thing left is what is actually holding the rudder from falling (Attached image). From browsing the web and the forum i understood that this is a common with all Bavaria, but the problem is that i have no idea how to open it

Thanks for the help

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Rudder Stock Locking
« Reply #1 on: September 16 2015, 19:48 »
The rudder stock is held in place by the steering quadrant (inside the lazarette) and the top locking ring (your picture). To undo the top locking nut you will need to turn it anticlockwise using the two opposing holes. I would have said to remove the retaining screw first but this has already been removed (middle, top hole on your photo). If you have already read other posts on this topic you will be aware that the rudder may just drop once the locking ring and steering quadrant are removed - so be careful.

Suggest this is a good topic page to read: http://www.bavariayacht.info/forum/index.php/topic,1068.0.html

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Rudder Stock Locking
« Reply #2 on: September 17 2015, 09:47 »
Most information is already in the thread dawntreader linked. My top nut could be turned by hand when the weight of the rudder was taken off it (wedge under the blade), but if it won't, a makeshift tool would be two screwdrivers in the opposite holes and then a wrench across the top, between them to turn.

Do support the rudder from below, and make sure there are two people to hold on to it and let it down gently, the rudder post is solid steel and very heavy.
(formerly) Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)