Author Topic: Just bought my first Bavaria power question please  (Read 6429 times)

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
This may appear a very simple question but I'm about to complete a purchase of my first modern boat a v nice Bavaria 30 cruiser.

Now my previous vessel just had two basic batteries little in the way of electrical equipment and a power lead that I would plug in when in a marina to run a fan heater or such from a 13 amp plug.

I'm wondering how the built in shore power will work on my Bav,. Does it charge my batteries when plugged in or just run the vast array of equipment.? does it run the equipment via the batteries or just on its own.

Any advice owners can give me will be greatly received.

Thanks Derek

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Just bought my first Bavaria power question please
« Reply #1 on: June 29 2015, 23:09 »
Your shore power should connect directly to the mains charger, so should charge your batteries as long as the main circuitbreaker is on.

Power to the sockets/water heater is also on the RCD circuit breakers and will deliver 240v directly to the sockets.

MarkTheBike

• Old Salt
  • 34/2001 2cab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: June 30 2015, 11:51 »
...does it run the equipment via the batteries or just on its own...

Yes, the 12v equipment continues to be run via the batteries with the charger keeping them topped up.

Cheers
ATB

Mark

BillGiles

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 02 2015, 22:50 »
If you are lumbered with continental sockets change them for UK 3-pin ones without delay!

Sadlerfin

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: July 04 2015, 21:35 »
Thanks for the replies now on board my new boat and it works as you suggested. We have mostly UK Sockets so fine.

In sure I'll be asking more questions in the future so apologies in advance.

Derek

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: July 07 2015, 09:48 »
If you are lumbered with continental sockets change them for UK 3-pin ones without delay!
I did this on my boat, I wish I had left them alone. European power sockets are so much tidier.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #6 on: July 07 2015, 12:23 »
Me too, I've just done one on my boat, having purchased the relevant part, only to discover that the conversion made it look like a dogs dinner. I could have bought a flush mounted UK power socket that would have looked a whole lot better from my local electrical hardware shop. So it got re-converted straight back to a European socket.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: July 07 2015, 14:46 »
I did this on my boat, I wish I had left them alone. European power sockets are so much tidier.

I'm actually considering converting my UKified Bavaria back to Schuko sockets. Some time, when all the more urgent jobs are done :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

dawntreader

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria37
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #8 on: July 09 2015, 08:05 »

I'm actually considering converting my UKified Bavaria back to Schuko sockets. Some time, when all the more urgent jobs are done :)

Don't forget the option that, if the electrical items you want to use are permanently on the boat, you can change the 3-pin UK plugs to 2-pin EU ones on that item. Quicker and less expensive.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 12 2015, 10:50 »
We converted to Australian 3 pin outlets. Sort of needed to do this to get a local CoC to be able to plug the vessel into the marina power. The only one that was not changed was the outlet that was part of the switch board. For this one we have a travel plug to convert to the Australian 3 Pin. The converted outlets used standard domestic face plates and look OK.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV Synergy
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: July 13 2015, 01:40 »
Hi Mark,
Can you tell us what brand & model number you used to convert to the Australian 3 pin? - save me doing all the research!!
Thanks.
Steven
Konan the Bavarian

MIA

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39 Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: July 13 2015, 19:15 »
I changed all mine wasn't difficult and added extra sockets with a full ring main circuit

Stevie

livefats

• Able Seaman
    • 1 Bridge Cottage, Braithwaite, Cumbria
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
« Reply #12 on: July 19 2015, 15:49 »
Sadlerfin: first, hope you enjoy your Bav 30 as much as we're enjoying ours! Second, to charge the batteries when connected to shore power, the 230 volt power supply comes into the boat via the main Residual Current Circuit Breaker on panel 302 and the K switch (Automatic Circuit Breaker - Kitchen) before the battery charger (so both the RCB and the K switch need to be on for the battery charger to work.) I only found this out last week with the help of other forum members!

Chris - Freebird

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 20 2015, 12:13 »
Hi Konan,
BTW like the monika. I did not do the conversion myself, it was done by the guys doing the commissioning. (Back when they did a proper job). However I believe that they are a standard Clipsal C2000 series double outlets. Where there is no enclosed cavity for the back of the outlet a surface mount box is used. fairly straight forward. Note that as it will be connected to mains power it must be done by a qualified electrician. if it is not your insurance may be voided.

Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV Synergy
Bav 40
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009