Author Topic: Why is my table inclined?  (Read 1126 times)

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
Why is my table inclined?
« on: April 16 2022, 18:48 »
It’s the first time I’m on the boat with the family. We’re loaded up on fuel and water (front and back tanks).
Then my son asked why the table is inclined. I said it isn’t, but he was right. According to my iPhone, the table has an angle of 3 degrees. The same is true for the floor.
My first instinct was that something would be wrong and we had taken on water. But that’s not the case. In fact, the cockpit benches are leveled.

Please correct me but I think the inclination is to let water drain towards the stern. But why would the table not be leveled? I must say that I built a new table. Maybe the old one had a correction for the inclination and I missed it?

Let me know about your boats and please someone tell me that we’re not about to sink. 😂

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Why is my table inclined?
« Reply #1 on: April 16 2022, 19:11 »
It's a boat. The table is inclined one way when you go up a wave and the other way when you go down a wave.  :))

When at rest, which a boat never truly is, the trim between bow and stern is never perfectly level either. We've got tanks on both ends of the boat and whichever ones are full or empty decides which way the table tilts :)

As long as your drains all work, it's nothing to worry about.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sunshine

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: April 17 2022, 19:40 »
This is a interesting topic. My Bav 30 is low at the stern. At the end of the year, there is fouling up beyond the original factory blue stripe on the hull at the stern, but the bow end of the stripe is clear of  the water at all times so is clean. Rowing back to the boat in the dinghy you can clearly see she is low at the stern, whether water and fuel tanks are full or empty. I live with it, doesn't worry me in the slightest, but just wonder why this is, is it a deliberate design aspect (make it appear sleeker, less beamy at the rear etc) or just an error when she was designed (eg engine weighs more than anticipated).

Laysula

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 350 lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1994
« Reply #3 on: April 17 2022, 21:57 »
Just buy more anchor chain. ;D

Krumelur

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 18 2022, 07:59 »
Interesting that you’re seeing something similar.
My neighbor here in the marina also has a Bavaria, it’s a 36.
When they started joking about my table issues, I handed over the water level and made them check their table. Result: same thing was not as bad as on mine. However, they still have the original table and mine is a DIY that isn’t entirely flat.
I also noticed that the height of the seating area differs from stern towards bow. It’s about 37.5cm in the front and 39cm in the back. Means to me: Bavaria tried to compensate the tilting but didn’t do it for the table.
I also checked the waterline of the boat. Didn’t see anything obvious going on there, which is reassuring.
Also, as my table is self made, I adjusted the plate and lifted it by a good 2 cm in the back. There’s now a gap between the wood and the fiber base but at least my son shouldn’t be complaining anymore about his Fanta not being leveled out :-)

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 18 2022, 18:22 »
J&J designed all deck parts of Bavaria 40 Cruiser and they built the model and the moulds. Surely they had designed as for ergonomic criteria and security for water draining.
A boat is in continuos mouvement, some degrees on a table are not important as for a working bench....