Author Topic: Blue print or technical drawing for a B49 2004  (Read 3755 times)

Mangata

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 49
  • Boat Year: 2004
Blue print or technical drawing for a B49 2004
« on: March 01 2015, 21:02 »
Hi,
We have a B49 but when we bought it there was nothing onboard. No brochure, no data, no drawing...
We are doing a major refit and some repairs. We have fresh water infiltration that comes to the bilges but we can not see where it comes from.
I would like to find the technical drawing of our boat to figure out how it was built! Where the water could get in. It doesn't come from the front locker, neither from the anchor pit.

Thanks

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Blue print or technical drawing for a B49 2004
« Reply #1 on: March 02 2015, 14:46 »
Can't help with the owner manual, but Bavaria should be able to help if nobody here has an electronic copy. I scanned my B47  manual, very handy.

Fresh water in the bilge can come from the PRV on the calorifier, you may know it as an immersion or water heater.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 03 2015, 09:21 »
I have the original manuals and paperwork still, but in paper form. Depending on where you are, I can lend them to you so you can make copies (I have a 2003 B49).

However, they won't help you with the leaks.  The leaking problems stem from the fact that they used silicone sealant when they built it, which breaks down over time and starts to let water in.  You will find that EVERY SINGLE skin fitting has this rubbish under it, so it's a case of removing them all, getting all the old sealant off, then re-bedding sith SIKA.  This includes the water tank and waste tank fillers, all the cockpit drains and transom drains, the handrails, stantions, genoa cars, shroud plates, cleats (they will be leaking LOADS), deck clutches, etc.  I also found that a number of the windows were leaking where the bedding had gone hard and crumbly, so removed all the hatches and windows and re-betted them with ABROMAST butyl sealant.  There is also a problem with the cockpit table, there water that drains out runs along the bottom and into the instument section, and then down into the aft cabin. I also suspect (but haven't had the toerail up yet) that there are some glue voids in the hull/deck joint.

Some will be rain water, but you will also get some in whilst under-way, so sometimes it is fresh, and sometimes brackish.

It's a long and ball-aching job, but I'm afraid there's no quick fix. You just have to take it all off and put it back properly.

Best of luck

Bob

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: March 03 2015, 19:46 »
Depending on how bad the water leakage is, and assuming it is from water leaks above the waterline, you may get temporary relief by using a product called "Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure." The secret is to try to track down where the water is leaking through and the pour some of the product over the most likely spot. Finding the leaks has meant some dismantling of the interior wooden parts, as well as the use of the camera on my mobile phone to photograph those areas where it was impossible to get close enough to look at, but where the resulting photos were able show evidence of water trails. On my boat which was an ex charter vessel, the big problem was from the handrail stanchions which charterers had used to drag themselves onboard after an evening at the local waterhole. Such action places a huge stress on the stanchion base and its securings which then leads to water leakage past the securing bolts. This becomes particularly noticeable during rain or heavy weather. On internally opening port lights, I've used a smear of Vaseline over the rubber seals which has prevented leakage past the seals. Across the stern in way of the emergency steering position there is on my boat a plastic board which was originally secured to the hull using self tapping screws. For whatever reason prior to my ownership of the boat these screws had worked loose such that water draining from the cockpit would run down through the now slack screw holes and would run forward and accumulate in the engine compartment. Fitting bolts through those slack holes with a rubber grommet between the plastic board and the hull on which the board rested, and then tightening the bolts to squash the grommets has successfully stopped water leakage in that area.
Good luck in determining where the leaks are !!

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: March 05 2015, 21:37 »
Unscrew some fitting like the deck fillers and the cockpit drains, and I bet they just fall out. Tolleys won't solve that.

john14er

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 49 Tri-Cabin
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: March 31 2020, 15:35 »
Would also like a tech drawing too. I had a leak on my 2004 49. Stopped the leak easy enough but the water flow pattern makes no sense. Doesn't really want to flow to the pump. Used a shop vac to suck it out. works great but make sure you also suck from the holes thru the ribs as well as a LOT of water resides in those spaces.

TASL116

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 49
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: May 25 2020, 16:00 »
Don’t know if this will help with your leaks, but here is the ‘04 Bavaria 49 owners manual.

Perhaps you can help me out with the dimensions of your Genoa?

Tom