Author Topic: Water under engine....not always serious. Bav 40 2011  (Read 2999 times)

1055john

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2011
Doing engine checks and noticed large amount of water under engine and sitting on top of sail drive. Bilges here have been previously dry. Panic thoughts of some structural failure involving deck and hull; engine or domestic water system leak, saildrive gaiter, seacocks etc  Engine only just serviced...some problem here? Tasted of fresh water with subtle hint of diesel.

After much poking about noticed drip coming down rudder stock. Further investigation revealed drain hole in box compartment between two helm wheels for emergency tiller blocked with crud, from washing out cockpit. Unblock. Problem solved. Note to self "clean out emergency tiller opening/box every so often" Hope this helps someone else who may have the same problem.

Ripster

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 36 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2011
Re: Water under engine....not always serious. Bav 40 2011
« Reply #1 on: April 23 2014, 11:27 »
Thanks for posting.  In my 36C (2011) I get a small amount of fresh water gathering at the rear of SD, in small qtys either side of the main well.  I though it must be some sort of rain ingress I can't trace or a drip from a internal water pipe that I also can't find.  I will check the rudder well drain
  :)