Poll

VP oil level: dipstick resting on the top of the pipe, or pushed fully home?

Dipstick resting on the top of the pipe
Dipstick pushed fully home

Author Topic: Engine Oil Dipstick Volvo Penta (MD22)  (Read 4405 times)

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Engine Oil Dipstick Volvo Penta (MD22)
« on: February 01 2014, 09:25 »
I?ve just changed the oil; should one check the engine oil with the dipstick resting on the top of the pipe, or pushed fully home? If you have official confirmation, please say so below.

I've always done it pushed fully home, but two things have made me think it may be wrong:
[1] I have fully drained the oil, but I only get the correct reading after filling with 6 litres if I rest the dipstick on the pipe.
[2] The VP manual tells you not to screw in the dipstick when checking the saildrive oil.

Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Engine Oil Dipstick Volvo Penta (MD22)
« Reply #1 on: February 04 2014, 20:45 »
My D1 30 needs only 3.5L and I have the correct reading when fully pushed in. Its different for the SD leg. 2.9L and cap is not screwed. I will Di mine next month.
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

peterwgibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: bav 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #2 on: March 19 2014, 21:10 »
I would go for the stick pushed home - just resting on top will elevate the filling line and possibly lead to overfilling - a no-no I understand.

Dipstick resting on the housing does apply to the gearbox on my S leg - again the caution is not to overfill but I think this advice is general on motors

PWG

AFRiCA

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: 42 ft Racer/Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: December 29 2014, 00:10 »
Just put the required amount of oil in as per the manual and check the dip stick and fill to that position from that time on. Changing the oil filter will take some oil as well. Simple really.  :)