Author Topic: Stanchions  (Read 6197 times)

Ramore

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Stanchions
« on: November 13 2011, 21:18 »
The stanchions on my 2000 Bavaria 34 are all bend inwards and the retaining screws on the deck have also worked loose. Not only does this look a bit "tatty" but I think it is letting in damp. I understand that the stanchion bases Bavaria used at this time were sub-optimal and they replaced them subsequently. There is a good article on the american BOA website describing their replacement (http://bavariayachtowners.org/page17/page60/page68/page68.html). Has anyone else had experience of this and successfuly replaced?

Sweet As

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Stanchions
« Reply #1 on: November 14 2011, 06:34 »
We have a 2004 36 with the new aluminum stantion bases. However, I understand the need for the modification even to these, as described in the link you provided. The stantions that receive the pressure of the odd guest launching themselves onboard are showing the signs of stress. There is visible grazing of the gelcoat from the base of these stantions. Reseating with a broader base plate and perhaps a third bolt as suggested in the link will fix the root cause. At risk of hyjacking the thread....how does one best tackle repairing crazing in the gelcoat to make the repair as invisible as possible?
Sweet As
Bav 36

Ramore

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Stanchions
« Reply #2 on: November 15 2011, 08:21 »
Thanks, interesting to know that the new ones can deform as well. I'm a bit worried that if I make them too rigid without any give all the load will be transferred to the deck if someone is vigorously using them to fend off from their precious Hallberg Rassey! Could this cause stress fractures in the deck? anyone know?