Author Topic: That blue stripe!  (Read 11282 times)

PhilB

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
That blue stripe!
« on: November 08 2011, 21:11 »
Hi, For a year I have tried various cleaning/polishing techniques to try to keep the blue stripe on our 36 blue. It looks great for a while but whatever I do it goes back to a faded milky mess. Anyone found anything that works longer than a week or so ?

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: That blue stripe!
« Reply #1 on: November 08 2011, 21:23 »
Looks like you're not the only one. We also tried everything from polish to god knows what.
Conclusion: paint is cheap quality urethane so it fades. I'm planning to repaint it with two-pack polyurethane paint (Awlgrip) but too expensive to spray paint and difficult / tricky with brush. Suddenly, it does not look that bad any more.
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 09 2011, 09:51 »
Last year fed up with the same problem I replaced mine with Vinyl striping.  Looks much better than the original and no fading

CRYSTAL

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B33C
« Reply #3 on: November 09 2011, 20:33 »
How did you do your vinyl striping? Can you give further details - did you remove the existing blue or on top of it?

cheers.
Hratch
CRYSTAL I

Nigel

• R.I.P.
  • Old Salt
    • Dolcetto - My Boat
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #4 on: November 10 2011, 10:44 »
Hi, For a year I have tried various cleaning/polishing techniques to try to keep the blue stripe on our 36 blue. It looks great for a while but whatever I do it goes back to a faded milky mess. Anyone found anything that works longer than a week or so ?

Assuming the stripe is paint, you should be able to polish it with a Meguiars Speed Glaze to remove oxidation, then use a good quality wax or Polymer Sealant.
Nigel Mercier: Forum Administrator

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #5 on: November 10 2011, 16:53 »
I have tried all things to get this looking good eeven thre latest Nano polish which works but still fades over time. So I fixed it:-

Go to my web site www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk and look on 2011 you will see  blue strips that have been in place for 10 months and still blue. I put vinyl on them, not easy around the bends but with a little heat it works. If you put stripping tape into google you will find the company. If not come back and I will send a link.

I spend 6 months a year on my boat and have done a lot of upgrades so have a look at the site and see what you want to know.
Best of luck
Odysseus
Odysseus

Ricd

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 34
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #6 on: November 11 2011, 13:21 »
I have tried all things to get this looking good eeven thre latest Nano polish which works but still fades over time. So I fixed it:-

Go to my web site www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk and look on 2011 you will see  blue strips that have been in place for 10 months and still blue. I put vinyl on them, not easy around the bends but with a little heat it works. If you put stripping tape into google you will find the company. If not come back and I will send a link.

I spend 6 months a year on my boat and have done a lot of upgrades so have a look at the site and see what you want to know.
Best of luck
Odysseus

Really interested in the gybe preventer using an abseil shackle...any chance of a diagram on how she is rigged and operates?

Thanks
Richard

PhilB

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: November 12 2011, 20:10 »
Thanks for all the replies, I think the vinyl stripe is probably the only real solution to this. It's a shame Bavaria didnt get this right as it does make the boat look like it's not looked after. Anyway, sounds like a job for a warm spring day !
I'm also interested in the preventers if you get a chance to post details.

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #8 on: November 13 2011, 15:51 »
Preveter posted on it's own link.

Odysseus
Odysseus

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 13 2011, 16:07 »
To get round the bends I cut the vinyl into 3 separate pieces you can hardly see the join.  As stated there are a few you tube site with Demo's I used the wet techniqe with the hinge method.

I used                    http://www.sacboatnames.com/    I think it was Navy   This company will cut the vinyl to with of your spec.
(another time I would oversize 2mm as at times it only just covered the original paint)   Mine was 80mm width x 30 m't's    this is there standard lengh.Ffor the narrowing at the bow end I made a a pattern out of  tracing paper.

peter gibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #10 on: December 08 2011, 23:06 »

Assuming the stripe is paint, you should be able to polish it with a Meguiars Speed Glaze to remove oxidation, then use a good quality wax or Polymer Sealant.

I use T cut - the car paint resurfacing liquid - sparingly applied, and finish off with a good coat of polish. It works for a season and has to be renewed every year.

The stripe is laid in when the hull is formed I believe, so I am loth to try repainting the stripe - that could just about wreck the cosmetics of the entire hull, so put up with this chore every season.

PWG