Author Topic: Tight spot on wheel steering  (Read 5872 times)

chrisdaykin

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30
  • Boat Year: 2007
Tight spot on wheel steering
« on: October 27 2011, 22:37 »
Just registered, looks like really handy website.  Just got strange problem on my 2007 Bavaria 30. There is a real tight spot on the steering, about halfway between top dead centre and fully to port.  A quick look around hasn't revealed anything obvious. I have read lots on the Internet about rudder bearing problems/seizures, but would be surprised if this was the problem as the steering is really smooth and light for the rest of the turning circle. Any help - definitely worth a beer!

Moodymike

• Old Salt
Re: Tight spot on wheel steering
« Reply #1 on: October 29 2011, 13:01 »
I presume like mine (B32) your steering is chain driven, have you checked that the tension is not to tight?

JVS

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 29 2011, 20:30 »
Start by isolating the rudder from the helm.  If the helm is smooth in both directions then you have a problem with the rudder post or rudder its self..  Also make sure the auto pilot isn't the problem..
"Wasting Time In A Serious Way"

vikinglish

• Swab
  • Boat Model: B 37C
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: October 31 2011, 00:42 »
Check the rack and pinion, could be as simple as a piece of rubbish in the gearing

peter gibbs

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #4 on: December 08 2011, 23:25 »
Start by isolating the rudder from the helm.  If the helm is smooth in both directions then you have a problem with the rudder post or rudder its self..  Also make sure the auto pilot isn't the problem..

Building on this good advice, slacken off the quadrant bolts and see if the wheel, chain and wire connectors are running freely. The plastic shielding at the junction between wire connector and chain behind the wheel can cause an obstruction if it's moved.

Otherwise there's something impeding the rudder - have a look over the sugar scoop to check - a piece of old rope etc jamming between rudder and hull.

It is most unlikely that the wire in the conduits has frayed so come to that possibility last of all.

PWG