Author Topic: teck teck substructure  (Read 1407 times)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
teck teck substructure
« on: September 21 2021, 00:26 »
Does any one know that is under the teak deck of my BV 41 2003.

I need some advice.

The teak abutting the cabin roof flexes. I have pulled out some of the calk material between last teak strip the FRP cabin and it is clear from its size and shape that that it extends about 4-6 mm under the teak strip.

So, is there an intended gap under those teak strips abutting the cabin roof or is this a symptom of something more sinister.

Can any one draw me a sketch of the how  the teak is supported on the deck and against the cabin.

Regards

Aquapore

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: teck teck substructure
« Reply #1 on: September 21 2021, 07:58 »
It is glued onto the GRP deck moulding. Some are reak strips on a ply base, others are just (thicker) teak strips. I think yours will be the latter). Lifting means the glue has failed.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: September 22 2021, 07:18 »
Sounds like the plywood between teak strips and GRP has rotten away. How I know - my cockpit teak suffers from the same problem.

For me, the solution will most likely be  ripping it all out - and mounting Flexiteek or some other new faux teak.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #3 on: September 23 2021, 21:44 »
See this thread and included links for pix: http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,3017.0.html
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #4 on: September 24 2021, 00:18 »
Is it the case that the teak deck is simply glued  over a ply base to an otherwise finished frp deck.

regards

Aquapore

tckearney

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: B42
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: September 24 2021, 10:15 »
It’s ply about 5mm thick.  The ply is originally screwed to the deck during manufacture then the screws are removed and the holes filled.  The teak is then added bonded to the teak .   I’ve just removed mine B42 2000 model.   It was easy one side as the teak was wet underneath and came up okay.  The other side however was very difficult.    Literally an inch at a time.   I used an electric plane (with loads and loads of spare blades)  to get most off,  then chiselled the rest.    I have then fitted treadmaster  over the entire outer deck.   Expensive but totally seals everything .  Probably best to do alongside a marina if you can get away with the mess.  Otherwise if you do it on the hard you will need a scaffolding  tower to  work from.  I did it from the deck and it was a mistake. 

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #6 on: September 25 2021, 17:07 »
Is it the case that the teak deck is simply glued  over a ply base to an otherwise finished frp deck.

regards

Aquapore

The deck is manufactured in a few pieces, with teak glued to a 2-layer ply (one in each direction). They're already caulked between the teak strips. Then these large prefab deck pieces (five or so on our boat) are shipped to Bavaria and glued to the already finished non-skid gelcoat. Sometimes a few holes are drilled for temporarily bolting through which are then poorly filled with caulking, which was a bad idea. The remaining seams between the pieces are then also caulked - on our boat with different (inferior) product compared to the prefab parts. Later decks are vacuum bagged instead of bolting - don't know when they changed that over.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)