Author Topic: headlining refurb  (Read 1181 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
headlining refurb
« on: August 27 2021, 20:33 »
the headlining on my Ocean 47 has started to sag due to the disintegration of the foam backing. I am going to attempt a repair re-using the vinyl outer covering - cleaned and smoothed from all traces of the original foam and then using a laminate flooring acoustic insulation product which consists of a foiled layer with a layer of closed cell foam adhered to it. I will attach the vinyl  to  the foam using wide double sided tape and maybe use the tape to attach the foil side to the plywood sheet which is then screwed under the deck. The foam comes in various thicknesses - 3mm is standard - which I could double up or top of the range is 7mm thick. Any experiences or ideas appreciated before I get stuck in! 

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: headlining refurb
« Reply #1 on: August 27 2021, 21:39 »
Interesting idea, but why not replace the entire material rather than scraping out the foam and replacing that? It's not expensive: https://www.eufabrics.com/leatherette/497-4mm-foam-backed-leatherette-fabric.html#/type-fabric_per_meters/colour-white_502

Bound to be easier to work with and get better results, not to mention have new fabric at the end! :)

Ours is also starting to sag in places, so have some interest in this.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 27 2021, 22:52 »
this is probably the best source of fabrics for boat use, particularly headlinings. They have good how to do it type guides as well. hawkehouse.co.uk

Ffniks

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Ocean 40
« Reply #3 on: September 10 2021, 12:44 »
 Last year I started to replace the old headlines. Due to some water leaks and coloring ( last owner smoking) uninstalling them one by one and at home put on new foam backed leatherette same type as Yngmar   suggested
Removed all old material Sanded the old glue and then copied the old leatherette onto the new
Using specific glue to fix the new leatherette to the wood and staples on the back to finish it On YouTube are  Many films how to do that.

Now still three to go, one to long to get in the car, and two who are behind the cover of de deck windows. I still have to sort out if the screws and the cover can be removed en installed again without a chance of leaks?

It was also a good moment to replace the spotlights.

Try to sent some foto in attachment

Jam

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 ocean
« Reply #4 on: September 13 2021, 17:19 »
I agree to replacing the lot as the finish will be much better and will take less time  I had a westerly before and it suffered from the westerly droop so had to replace most of the headlining.  Bought all materials from hawkhouse as already mentioned by another member.  As I remember the worse bit is removing all the old foam which was stuck to hull.  It was the only thing that put me off owning a westerly.
John