Author Topic: Oil leaking  (Read 1468 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Oil leaking
« on: September 14 2021, 22:38 »
During the last check I found quite a bit of oil in bilge. Motor is MD2030 D, and it is 18y old. It used to leak a little oil but not like this. The engine oil level dropped below the minimum, and I poured a liter and a quarter of oil in motor. The serviceman assures me that leaking is from raw water pump, and that the shaft is probably damaged.
Now I'm looking pictures wich I took in hurry and I see oil droplets above the pump. It makes a little sense to me that drops of oil are found above the raw water pump.

Do you have any idea where this leak might be from?

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Oil leaking
« Reply #1 on: September 15 2021, 07:03 »
To me it looks like the seal between the seawater pump body and engine block has failed - black fraying deposit close to mounting surface / seam. The gear on the "oil side" of the pump is rotating fast and most likely spinning oil around the housing.

If this is true, oil droplets could also "spray" upwards. Have you looked at the pump area while the engine is running? Clean all leak / stains out, put some white paper tissues around the engine and find the first droplets?

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 15 2021, 10:23 »
Looks to me as if it's leaking from the shaft of the speed control lever.  There's an O-ring on the shaft which should keep oil inside the engine.

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: September 15 2021, 20:46 »
It’s easy to remove the sw pump as you have captive nuts at the rear - to check the o ring seal between the sw pump and engine body. Just make sure you have spare o ring. Having just had a similar experience which was result of poor workmanship. Photo of the squished o ring and pump attached

HappyAfloat

• First Mate
    • www.happyafloat.com
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
« Reply #4 on: September 15 2021, 21:40 »
Looks to me as if it's leaking from the shaft of the speed control lever.  There's an O-ring on the shaft which should keep oil inside the engine.

I agree.  More info here

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/md2030-oil-leakage-from-throttle-arm.244359/#post-7348403

Stevie H

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: September 15 2021, 23:20 »
Looks like it is a leak from the throttle shaft to me as well. I have the same problem.

If it is this it is a lot of work to replace a 10p O ring as the timing casing has to be removed.

I have managed to limit the amount of oil loss by removing the arm from the shaft, putting an O ring on the shaft and then large washers and pushing the arm against the washers when it is refitted, which hold the O ring against the casing. Result is only a few drops of oil over time.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #6 on: September 16 2021, 22:38 »
In this video, which was taken a month ago, I noticed that oil around the heater can be seen in the right corner