Author Topic: Gearbox/ saildrive MS25/Volvo 120 drive gearchange stiff coming out of reverse  (Read 1102 times)

Captain Jan

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
I believe (but not 100% positive) my '97 Bavaria 38 was originally fitted with the MS25 gearbox through a Volvo 120 saildrive, -  I've a problem with my gear selector where the reverse gear becomes a little reluctant to disengage. This issue with the selector can be assisted by removing a washer/ shim  from the selector shaft, which I have done.  If a proper investigation/ replacement of worn parts  is done, does anyone have an experience of how to tear down the assembly, and if the spare parts are available? Is it better to renew the whole saildrive? Is it possible to renew the whole thing? With the season drawing to a close, we may start this as a winter project. Any comments or experience would be a great help. 

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Replacement is possible, but extremely expensive. Over £5k in the UK including installation. The latest drive has a different reduction ratio (2.2:1 instead of 2.47:1) so you will need a different propeller as well. Gear selection problems are in either the gearbox or the control at the helm rather than the saildrive itself and should be repairable.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
I think the first thing is to isolate whether the fault is in the selector (binnacle) or gearbox (between engine & saildrive).

1. Observe the gearbox selector lever movement when engaging / disengaging reverse
2. Disengage selector cable from gearbox
3. Manually operate gearbox selector lever
3.1 If engage / disengage works fine, your problem is at cable connection or binnacle selector lever
3.2 If you still have problems disengaging, you have to dig through gearbox spare parts diagram while taking the gearbox down

Tommi
s/y Anniina

Captain Jan

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
Thanks for the comments/ advice. As we are in the UK just now, but normally away several years,  we felt the saildrive replacement was probably best for us. We had the 120 S saildrive from 1997 to a D1 Volvo. Our quote for saildrive removal, replacement of clutch cones, selector and refitting with new seal was £2200. So we did not choose this route.  Instead, Our overall cost to purchase a new 130 saildrive (the replacement for the 120), £2500, adaptor plate to fit the engine, £500, adaptor plate for the diferent mounting of the 130 to the hull mounting point, £200. Adaptor for the seacock size, negligable, Labour £800.  Time taken- 2 engineers- engine out 2 hrs. saildrive removal 1 hr. Saildrive fitting 2 hrs. Engine fitting 2 hrs.  As our engine had to be comletely removed well clear of the engine bay for saildrive access, we also took the chance to take the engine to the workshop for overhaul,  but this is not included here. There is exellent info available on this job on youtube , it is not too hard to do yourself, but we chose not to, in this case.  There is a wide variation, from different suppliers,  in the cost of the saildrive, it's best to shop around.