Author Topic: outhaul routing in mast furler  (Read 1673 times)

Sunharvester

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
outhaul routing in mast furler
« on: August 31 2021, 14:34 »
The Selden setup has the outhaul getting pinched as the boom extends away from centerline.  I must confess, I dont understand this setup as it brings outhaul to one side of the mast.

This result in outhaul slackening when boom is brought to same side and tensioning when brought to the opposite side. The setup also leads to the line getting pinched where it exits the boom because of the excessive angle.

Wondering if anyone has modified this setup and what was done?

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: outhaul routing in mast furler
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2021, 15:30 »
Had to check my own setup from photos and I have similar routing.

Have not observed any problems with current setup, but have not been super picky about trimming. I could imagine most critical situation to be running wind on stbd outhoul tightened -> gyping would tighten that even more

Looking at the photos (yours and mine) seems like you could omit routing the downhaul on mast sheave but route it directly from boom to mast foot swiveling block - maybe worth experimenting.

BR,
Tommi
s/y Anniina

Sunharvester

• First Mate
« Reply #2 on: August 31 2021, 21:32 »
That was my thought as well.

Next time you are on a run with sail open wide walk up and look at where it exis the boom. It will be punched against the hard aluminum edge.

Just doesnt seem right.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 31 2021, 22:47 »
It is located there because the sail is intended to roll in and out with the boom on the port side - that is with the wind just off the starboard bow. It has been like that on Selden masts for getting on for 30 years. Appreciate that it is not necessarily a good lead with the boom out on the starboard side but for the vast majority of furling and unfurling operations it works fine.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: September 01 2021, 11:18 »
Looking at the photos (yours and mine) seems like you could omit routing the downhaul on mast sheave but route it directly from boom to mast foot swiveling block - maybe worth experimenting.

That will likely cause it to chafe on the furling line loop when the boom is all the way over to the starboard side.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #5 on: September 01 2021, 12:05 »
Why would you be furling the main with the boom out wide anyway ?

Sunharvester

• First Mate
« Reply #6 on: September 01 2021, 12:40 »
Here is the rub.  Pun intended.

This isn't about furling. The issue is the line runs against the mast, not a huge concern.  But where it exits the boom, the line is against a hard aluminum edge.  And as it is stretching due to the change in length when gybing, the pinching will eventually chafe the line. 

See photo

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
« Reply #7 on: September 01 2021, 22:33 »
We have been sailing our 2001 34 with this set up for the last ten years and still have the same outhaul line with no problems.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 01 2021, 23:56 »
Same here. Two boats with the same setup since 2000 and no problems with chafe on the outhaul line at that point.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #9 on: September 02 2021, 10:45 »
Measured the outhaul "tightening" when gyping from starboard tack to port tack (running, main / boom wide open)- this seems to be about 5-6cm in our Bavaria 40 (2001). Need to pay attention to this when racing :)

Did not notice any risk of outhaul rope "pinching", so I will most likely leave it as it is. Furthermore, if we would route the outhaul directly to mast foot, it would likely chafe to kicker lower part on starboard tack (outhaul routed to port organizer). On our boat the outhaul would not chafe to furling drum, but would definitely make furling with winch handle much more complicated.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina