Author Topic: Saloon sole board maintenance  (Read 1375 times)

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
Saloon sole board maintenance
« on: August 30 2021, 22:44 »
With four kids, the sole boards get quite a hammering (sometime literally, with toy cars  ::) ). What do you do to maintain these? Do you reapply varnish or the like?

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Saloon sole board maintenance
« Reply #1 on: August 31 2021, 11:27 »
They are laminated, somewhat like Formica, so no varnishing. Actually quite difficult to dent or permanently damage.

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #2 on: August 31 2021, 14:16 »
After having a glossy, varnished cabin sole in our last boat, the wife is not really fond of the laminate look in our Bav 44.  It has a few stains on it, but my plan is to upgrade to a newer synthetic teak.  Not sure if I should peel the top layer of laminate off or glue the new stuff on top.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

MagicalArmchair

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: August 31 2021, 23:48 »
Thanks both, my boards have a few knocks from the ‘crew’ already after only two seasons. We did spend over a month on board this year, so that’s not so bad I guess. I’ll wait for them to all grow up and then look out for your guide to applying synthetic teak Jake to put the sole right!  ::) :kewl

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: September 01 2021, 10:27 »
Robbins Timber do replacement laminate about £140 for an 8*4 sheet. If you go the fake teak route the plastic is much thicker and suspect it would be a challenge to cut and lay it on all the different boards.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: September 01 2021, 11:15 »
The synthetic flooring is pretty sturdy. There's no varnishing it. If your kids are the destructive sort, consider covering it with something protective until you can send them off to find a job and buy their own boat!  :kewl

While I'm not generally fond of carpet on boats, it might be worth it as cheap floor protection that is easy to cut to shape.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #6 on: September 01 2021, 13:46 »
For installing the synthetic teak, aligning the wood pattern would be key to a nice looking job.  I was thinking about removing each piece separately, then gluing on the synthetic teak, and trimming it with a router.  That would give me a nice finished edge.  Aligning everything is the hard part.  Once you put the stuff back down you don't want to see any crooked lines.  That would drive my wife nuts.

Carpet on a boat Yngmar?  A couple of throw rugs, sure, but not carpet.  A recipe for a nice moldy smelling boat.

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 01 2021, 16:47 »

Carpet on a boat Yngmar?  A couple of throw rugs, sure, but not carpet.  A recipe for a nice moldy smelling boat.

My old Hallberg-Rassy was carpeted.  It didn't smell mouldy, but then I only had it for about 20 years.