Author Topic: Bavaria 32 2010 - Raymarine autopilot ev-100 Installation  (Read 1551 times)

srknc

• Swab
Hi,
I'm trying to install Raymarine autopilot ev-100 wheel drive version to my Bavaria 32 2010 for some time and I need some advise on a problem.

Evolution Autopilot System Packs - EV-100 Sail Pack | Raymarine
https://www.raymarine.com/autopilot/evolution-autopilot/ev100-sail/

Skipping all other connections and installations, for the wheel drive installation, I need a space between pedestal and steering wheel.
As you may see on the pictures, there is not enough space between them. (engine controls also need to move, I've a solution for that)
I'm considering the options below;
- cutting upper part of the pedestal and putting a flat material ( It'll be ugly)
- finding a way to extend metal part connects steering wheel to steering system (how?)
- finding another steering wheel somehow have different angle, connection etc?

So the question is, is there anyone out there installed ev100 to 2010+ bavaria 32 or encountered same problem in another boat?

Thanks in advance.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Bavaria 32 2010 - Raymarine autopilot ev-100 Installation
« Reply #1 on: August 30 2021, 22:24 »
Looks like you don't need much, maybe 10mm or so?

Might be worth investigating if it's possible to move the shaft on the Whitlock (now Lewmar) Constellation steering. No idea if it is and can't make it out from the drawing, but I'd give it a look. If not, another option is to have a slightly longer shaft machined. This would be the ideal solution I think.

Manual with illustration (the pedestal type): http://mantaowners.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Constellation-Steering-Manual.pdf

Failing that, it's either cutting the fibreglass front and making a new, slightly flatter one (this is invisible if done well) or shimming the wheel, which would be a bit tricky as it's tapered, but doable on a lathe. It looks like there's just about enough thread left. Not the greatest solution though.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 32 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 29 2022, 17:21 »
Hi,

A technician is also trying to install a Raymarine Autopilot on my 2010 Bavaria 32 Cruiser. (I'm in the UK, and the technician who is doing it is on the boat in Spain, but I'll be there in a few days). He sent me a video, which shows the diameter of the drive ring as too small to mount outside the binnacle. I wondered what solution you came to?

Obviously, a picture would be worth a thousand words.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Adam 

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
« Reply #3 on: June 29 2022, 17:57 »
Also @Yngmar, the link you posted isn't working for me...could you check and re-post please?

Thx

Adam

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 29 2022, 18:16 »
That is a common problem on Bavaria pedestals. On my old 37 I remade the instrument panel so that it was flat and mounted the drive inside the binnacle with the peg on a bracket on the side.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: June 30 2022, 16:09 »
Just search for "Constellation-Steering-Manual.pdf"
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Adam Turner

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: July 01 2022, 08:44 »
Hi,

Thanks for feedback so far.

It looks like apart from making a hole in the console so the actuator/motor can be mounted, there's also insufficient clearance behind the wheel. I think someone mentioned shims but again, appreciate guidance on this, basically so I can provide the technician with further help, so I can get sailing!