Author Topic: Reefing  (Read 1217 times)

LinTeal

• Second Mate
Reefing
« on: August 29 2021, 10:08 »
I have a 2000 Bavaria 34 with in mast main. Any thoughts as to it being better to focus on  reefing the main or the genoa first  ?

kavok

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 40 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Reefing
« Reply #1 on: August 29 2021, 11:12 »
Usually first the main to reduce helm work.
Before reduce, main travel downwind and loose vang to twist hight part of te main. If it is not enough, begin to reef.

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: August 29 2021, 19:03 »
I have in-mast furling main and a 150% genoa on my 1999 boat. These boats are driven by the fore sail with the main smaller than standard slab reefing sails and I will normally look to reduce genoa size first,  which will help balance the boat. If you have a large 150% genoa and a smaller main then it makes sense to reduce sail area in the genoa then look at the main if the winds are increasing.

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: August 30 2021, 05:34 »
My personal opinion is to start with the jib-genoa. The main has more ways to be controlled ( easing the main sheet , vang, boom traveller) so it can stay full even in higher winds . Also is better to have the forces as central as possible . This applies for upwind sailing . For downwind I usually reef the main first cause I don’t like the violent move of the main when gybing!

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 30 2021, 21:05 »
Depends, I would say. If reefing to deal with a little more wind than expected, we usually reduce the Genoa first, then the main.

If however we're reefing because the wind is picking up fast (approaching squall line for example), we reef the main first, because the Genoa is easier to reef later when the wind is already picking up or changing direction. That is, we reef both, but start with the main.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #5 on: August 31 2021, 11:59 »
Furl the genoa and then make sure the wind is on starboard when furling the main as the slot is offset