Author Topic: Antifouling  (Read 4041 times)

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Antifouling
« on: August 27 2021, 14:25 »
Which antifouling paint do you use, what are your experiences.

Does anyone have experience with new antifouling paints (International VC 17m Thin Film, Hempel Silic One), can they protect the sailing ship for few years.

I am currently using Jotun Mare Nostrum. It’s not cheap and I don’t think that boat could last 2 years at sea without repainting.

Some people in my harbor use some illegal paint for big boats and then they can left boat two years in the sea.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Antifouling
« Reply #1 on: August 27 2021, 14:56 »
I use International Micron, and it lasts a full 2 years in the water.  But my boat is kept in a marina, so that may help.

Silic One is more suited to power boats, as it needs a minimum speed of around 8-10kts to keep it clean.

The most important aspect of antifouling is to be sure you apply enough!  As it's expensive, people try to spread it thinly, then complain when it doesn't work for long enough.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 27 2021, 16:58 »
I had my boat Coppercoated from new - now 6 years old. Lived up to expectations for the hull as it only needs washing once a year, but the iron keel was less successful and I had it blasted last year and recoated it myself using a different epoxy base coating before the Coppercoat. so far so good. If you intend keeping the boat a long time definitely worth considering.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #3 on: August 27 2021, 20:55 »
I had my boat Coppercoated from new - now 6 years old. Lived up to expectations for the hull as it only needs washing once a year, but the iron keel was less successful and I had it blasted last year and recoated it myself using a different epoxy base coating before the Coppercoat. so far so good. If you intend keeping the boat a long time definitely worth considering.

This is interesting! Definitely worth considering.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: August 30 2021, 07:30 »
I have used VC 17m and equivalent SVB Seatec GTI30 in relatively cold and low-salinity Baltic Sea, so my experience will most likely not be relevant to Mediterranean.

The product has been effective but requires new layer of paint annually. This may be due to annual lift & dry winter storage during the freezing months.

This year I am experimenting slight sanding instead of repainting in one section, so in couple of months we'll know if that is effective. Photos of my approach in another thread http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,3235.msg21241.html#msg21241

Tommi
s/y Anniina

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #5 on: August 30 2021, 21:08 »
Also happy with our self applied Coppercoat, which I've blogged about extensively already (link should be in the signature). No problems with sticking on a primed lead keel. The hard epoxy coat is ideal for people who do not want to haul out every winter and don't mind the exercise of occasional scrubbing in the water. Although no reason you couldn't haul out, it's just you don't have to!

When DIY applying, it's usually paid for itself after 2 or at most 3 years by not needing to buy paint alone. Sooner if you can skip haulouts!
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Captain Jan

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1997
« Reply #6 on: September 10 2021, 16:18 »
Antifouling is always a good point of discussion. There is varied experiences among the sailors and great local variation in fouling severity & type , so views & experience will be diverse.  I found my 20 year old Copper Coat quite poor in the south coast of the UK (fouling in 1 month, keeping the boat near Porchester), so professionally renewed it.  An expensive job but having experimented with applying it myself, it was clear this was an impossible job for me.  Too difficult. This year(3 years later), after 2 months in salt water & the weed was starting. Probably due to the high level of fertilisers & nutrients in the east coast rivers where we are now.  One thing to note- I had more than expected wear in my aluminium rudder post at the lower bearing.  Copper coat may set up a galvanic circuit with this, eroding the shaft.  Perhaps I should have left a block around the rudder post clear & used conventional anti-fouling near the post.  Or perhaps it was just wear.

tiger79

• Old Salt
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 10 2021, 18:11 »
One thing to note- I had more than expected wear in my aluminium rudder post at the lower bearing.  Copper coat may set up a galvanic circuit with this, eroding the shaft.  Perhaps I should have left a block around the rudder post clear & used conventional anti-fouling near the post.  Or perhaps it was just wear.

Yes, you should use Trilux or similar antifoul in the area say 10cm from the rudder post.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #8 on: September 10 2021, 21:34 »
Leave the metal bits clear of Coppercoat, like so:

Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)