Author Topic: leaking raymarine ST60 depth transdcuer  (Read 2664 times)

1simon

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean
  • Boat Year: 1998
leaking raymarine ST60 depth transdcuer
« on: July 18 2021, 19:34 »
Hi All,
Have a 1999 Bavaria 38 ocean.

Have a small leak from the depth transducer (  Raymarine ST60). Not a lot - maybe 100ml in a day. Small beads of water coming in just below the plastic locking nut.

Has anyone had this issue, and solved it without taking the boat up on the dry?

Tried to stop  the leak by with an epoxy repair stick,  but did not work. Now thinking of trying an underwater sealer.

Thanks for any suggestions

Simon

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: leaking raymarine ST60 depth transdcuer
« Reply #1 on: July 19 2021, 17:42 »
I had the same problem…. I tried the epoxy putty route, which reduced the leak to manageable teacups a day until we lifted out at the end of the season. I applied the putty several times, removed it when it failed to stop the leak and tried again: eventually managed to persuade it to stick enough to be manageable.
The only way to really resolve the problem is to lift, remove the transducer and all the old sealant and putty, clean well and replace using new sealant.

semaphore

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: July 19 2021, 17:53 »
When I replaced mine, it was sealed with silicone.

I don't think it's a repair you can do in the water.

1simon

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: July 19 2021, 18:40 »
I had the same problem…. I tried the epoxy putty route, which reduced the leak to manageable teacups a day until we lifted out at the end of the season. I applied the putty several times, removed it when it failed to stop the leak and tried again: eventually managed to persuade it to stick enough to be manageable.
The only way to really resolve the problem is to lift, remove the transducer and all the old sealant and putty, clean well and replace using new sealant.

How did you  remove the epoxy putty? Its rock hard after 3 days! I have used Weicon Epoxy Stick Aqua.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: July 19 2021, 22:50 »
The epoxy putty worked well for our leaking cockpit drains (now replaced). Obviously it needs to be applied from the outside, well mixed and pushed in to adhere. You will need to clean the area of any fouling and if you don't have epoxy based antifoul, also of antifoul. Go swim with a wire brush and then have someone hand you well kneaded epoxy putty bits.

Be careful, if the leak is caused by the exterior plastic rim detaching from the transducer, it may snap off and fall into the boat suddenly. Better to haul out before this happens, or remove the transducer and plug the hole.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

1simon

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: July 20 2021, 15:53 »
Hi  Yngmar,

Actually i applied the epoxy putty on the inside, maybe rather hastily , as i wanted to tacke the issue asap.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #6 on: July 21 2021, 10:03 »
Applied from the inside won't work too well, as the water pressure will often find its way around the putty before it can harden.

On the outside it'll be forced into the gaps instead and our 3 month repair job ended up lasting almost a year before we could haul out to do a proper replacement as the first Covid wave saw boatyards shut down and countries closed. I bought more of the stuff to replenish the emergency kit as it had worked so well  :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

LinTeal

• Second Mate
« Reply #7 on: July 22 2021, 10:16 »
Stay Afloat leak sealant is supposed to be v good at sealing leaks even when there is water pressure. Try googling.

I had the same issue on my Bav 34 when I refloated and bought some to use but never used as leak stopped after a few weeks in the water.
Good stuff to have on board !

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: July 27 2021, 19:14 »
….

Have a small leak from the depth transducer (  Raymarine ST60). Not a lot - maybe 100ml in a day. Small beads of water coming in just below the plastic locking nut.

Has anyone had this issue, and solved it without taking the boat up on the dry?
…….
……..

If you keep your boat in an area where there is a large tidal range, you could try drying out against a wall, or against piles and doing the job at low water between the outgoing tide and the next incoming tide. You would need to be well prepared in advance so that you have everything you need ready onboard.

First check out the area at low water where you want to do the job to make sure there are no surprises like a big lump of rock in the wrong place. Then at high water bring your boat in to the area and lean it against the wall or piles, with adequate fendering in place. Take a halyard from the top of the mast to a strong point onshore and keep a light tension on the halyard at all times to ensure that your boat leans in to the wall or piles, not away from it. Maintain that tension as the tide goes out and your boat takes the ground, and keep the tension on until the tide comes back in and until your boat has refloated, but easing the tension as your boat starts to lift.
While the tide is out, do the job and ensure that your hull is watertight again before refloating.
Once afloat release the tension on your mast halyard, and depart when there is sufficient water to do so.

1simon

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: July 28 2021, 15:48 »
Thank you Salty, but since the boat is in the med (  Malta)  ther eis no tide to  speak of.

Will attempt to do the repair from the outside under water as soon as i have some time and am in clear water.

Am just seeing the best material  to seal it with - epoxy  putty or sealer.
The epoxy putty seems to not adhere well to some plastics , and the transducer is made of plastic.
The cockpit drains referred to by Yngmar are made of stainless steel.
I just want to be sure that whaterever i do has the best possibe chance of success.

For the time being it is quite manageable .

1simon

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: September 07 2021, 13:52 »
Hi All ,

Just an update on this issue.
After having applied Aqua epoxy  repair stick, from the inside ,  i had mixed results,  in that the rate of water ingress was reduced substantially, but never eliminated .

2 weeks ago after a sail in a F4 , i noticed that the water leaking in increased, and so decided to  lift it out  and have the transducer removed and resealed .

Whole job was done in an afternoon and i now sleep better :)