Author Topic: COMPANION DOOR COVER  (Read 2521 times)

S29hamble

• Swab
  • Boat Model: S29
  • Boat Year: 2020
COMPANION DOOR COVER
« on: June 21 2021, 12:08 »
Hi all, at night when the lights are on and when the companion door is closed anyone outside can see straight in. has anyone got a clever answer to solving this? seems mirrored vinyl only works in the day. is there a solid opaque cover than can slide across over the door when needed?

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: COMPANION DOOR COVER
« Reply #1 on: June 21 2021, 20:00 »
Park the boat bows in :)

On a more serious note, it's pretty easy to make a curtain that attaches to the sliding hatch with a few buttons and then isn't in the way when opened. Or you can make a solid version of the washboard to swap out, but that requires more storage than a fabric curtain.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: June 21 2021, 20:11 »
First i jammed a towel between the washboard and sliding hatch, which does not convince my first mate.
So she produced a curtain which is held in place by 2 suction cups.

S29hamble

• Swab
  • Boat Model: S29
  • Boat Year: 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 22 2021, 18:09 »
suction cups it is! thanks!!

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: June 24 2021, 04:03 »
I had a long canvas curtain made that was held temporarily in place by a series of press studs fitted around the perimeter of the curtain and around the inside of the metal trim around the companionway hatch and door. During the day time it was rolled up and put away, and just fitted in place at night for privacy. This covered the entire hatch and companionway, and arguably also helped to retain some of the heat from the Ebberspacher diesel heater during the cold winter nights.