Author Topic: Rudder bearing on Bavaria Ocean 40  (Read 2088 times)

Isola

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Ocean 40
  • Boat Year: 2002
Rudder bearing on Bavaria Ocean 40
« on: May 12 2021, 10:24 »
Hi everyone!
Does any of you have replaced the lower rudder bearing on a Bavaria Ocean 40? I've been in contact with both Jefa in Denmark (who produce the bearing) and SVB i Germany, and they recommend different bearings … Jefa is telling me that my rudder axel is 64 mm and SVB 84 mm. I’ve measured the rudder axel inside the boat and it's 60 mm, but I guess that doesn't say anything about the diameter where the bearing is. Unfortunately the boat is in the water so I can't measure it further down.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Rudder bearing on Bavaria Ocean 40
« Reply #1 on: May 12 2021, 12:01 »
There's unfortunately no way around measuring the shaft at the bearing. You only have to drop the rudder a bit for that, not remove it all the way, which you however need to do to replace the bearing later.

There was some variance in the dimensions from the different manufacturers, as originally the rudder came from JP3 and only later from Jefa. Ours was exactly 63mm diameter. I also trusted the 64mm drawing from Jefa and the 1mm difference cost me a lot of money :-X

So you can either gamble with assumed dimensions, or do the right thing and measure. You can drop the rudder down a bit in the water and measure from the outside if you have a nice warm wetsuit (or warm water) if you want to avoid hauling out for it, but as you have to haul out for the replacement job anyways, I don't see much of an advantage. Both SVB and Jefa deliver fairly quickly.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Isola

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: May 15 2021, 08:48 »
Thank you very much for your answer Yngmar!
It sounds like there is no way around measuring the shaft. We are planing to put the boat on the hard soon and will calculate a few extra days then. I will update here when the job is done.

Isola

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: May 18 2021, 11:23 »
I have just received some new information from Bavaria. They are actually recommending the same as Yngmar ended up buying (for a 63 mm shaft): https://jefa.com/ftp/rudder/Bearingballs/M13-205-63.PDF. Maybe I will order this one before I put my boat on the hard ...

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: May 18 2021, 12:30 »
That's the size I've got. You can risk it and worst case you'll have to order another if it does turn out to be wrong for your shaft - so perhaps plan some extra time on the hard just in case. I might be interested in that one if it doesn't fit your boat!  :))
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Vasco

• Cadet
    • Skokie
  • Boat Model: Ocean 40
« Reply #5 on: June 07 2021, 15:22 »
Hi,
Skokie, our Bav 40 Ocean 2001 is actually with the same problem. Since we splashed the boat 4 weeks ago, the bearing is getting tighter and stiff.
Since the rudder was of 2 years ago, I saved some Fotos. We are with a JP3L/SW. I contacted today Kolhoff in Kiel, who is the general importer of that stuff. Recommendation by their catalogue is: JR-M13-207-64, means 64 mm in diameter. I have ordered this, before I read this thread. >:(
I will measure the diameter of the shaft above waterline as I assume that there is no diameter step on the shaft from the bearing upwards.
Here some Fotos of my disaster.

Vasco

• Cadet
    • Skokie
  • Boat Model: Ocean 40
« Reply #6 on: July 24 2021, 09:01 »
Hello again, the job is done.
In my Bavaria 40 Ocean from 2001 the diameter was 63mm. I ordered via the importer Kohlhoff in Kiel from JEFA, DK first the catalogue recommended 64mm bearing, but then I read this posts and ordered another with 63mm. Both were available during the haul out. Kohlhoff promised me to take back the wrong one for 10% of the costs which is 20€ plus shipping back.
So now we have a roller bearing which works good. Thanks for this advises in this forum.
At least there is from JEFA a Plastic housing available which will be installed in our boat instead the actual aluminum one. No electrolytic corrosion anymore. Cost: little more than 200€ plus installation

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRDa_bILS1J/?utm_medium=copy_link