Author Topic: Bavaria 32 2001 deck core moisture  (Read 1783 times)

deniss

• Swab
Bavaria 32 2001 deck core moisture
« on: May 11 2021, 00:30 »
Hi, could anyone please tell what kind of core material was used for deck sandwich on Bavaria 32 (2001)? Was it balsa?
It seems there is a water trapped inside because of wrongly mounted safety rails and liferaft mounts by previous owner.
I am really upset. because the rest of the boat is very nice.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
Re: Bavaria 32 2001 deck core moisture
« Reply #1 on: May 11 2021, 10:39 »
I didn't think there was any core.

If there is, it'll be closed cell foam.

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: May 11 2021, 11:08 »
There should be solid glass with either ply pads or aluminium plates where the normal fittings are located. You do not say where the additional fittings have been added, but there are foam cored areas of both the deck and coachroof. However they are not extensive so if for example screws have been used and not properly sealed there could be some local ingress of water into the core. May well be easily fixed by enlarging the hole and removing the damp core before injecting epoxy. Probably best to consult a surveyor or a GRP repair expert.

Markus

• First Mate
« Reply #3 on: May 11 2021, 12:27 »
Never heard Bavaria to use balsa. Do not panic, the problem is most likely local and at the end not as big as you think. Check for example west systems repair guide, inspect and especially make sure to thoroughly dry before any repair is undertaken.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: May 11 2021, 15:26 »
No balsa wood. Our 2000/2001 Bavaria deck is either solid glass or foam cored (depending on the area you're looking at. The foam doesn't rot or wick when wet, so damage should be minimal and easy to repair. A few specific areas have small pieces of ply instead of foam as that resists compression better. And there are aluminium plates glassed in for winches, rope clutches etc. to be threaded into.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #5 on: May 17 2021, 09:57 »
I think I’m right in saying that Bavaria don’t use a cored layup as such. Some makers use a sandwich of outer grp, mid layer of balsa, inner layer of grp laminated together with the balsa providing an element of strength to the structure: hence problems when it gets wet and rots.
Bavaria use the mid layer as thermal insulation, not as a structural element: you can remove the headlining panels to expose the foam below. Thus, getting water into the foam is not the issue it would be if the foam were in any way structural. Also makes replacing wet foam easier as you can remove the headlining panel to repair/replace the wetted foam without the need to start digging up the deck.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #6 on: May 17 2021, 19:08 »
so if for example screws have been used and not properly sealed

Which is the correct or best way to properly seal screws.

I recently, during the installation of webasto heating, I have drill four 5mm holes, in at the stern near the telescopic ladder. I put a lot of silicone (sanitar) in each hole and then a screw. I wonder if this is enough because plywood is integrated on this part.

Tillsbury

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 49AC
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #7 on: May 18 2021, 22:15 »
so if for example screws have been used and not properly sealed

Which is the correct or best way to properly seal screws.

I recently, during the installation of webasto heating, I have drill four 5mm holes, in at the stern near the telescopic ladder. I put a lot of silicone (sanitar) in each hole and then a screw. I wonder if this is enough because plywood is integrated on this part.

All holes in the deck should be over drilled by a few millimetres, then the hole filled with thickened epoxy, then re-drilled at the size you need.  That was you're sure your deck is always watertight.  Make sure the backing washer is larger than the hole you drilled for epoxy.

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #8 on: May 19 2021, 19:06 »

All holes in the deck should be over drilled by a few millimetres, then the hole filled with thickened epoxy, then re-drilled at the size you need.  That was you're sure your deck is always watertight.  Make sure the backing washer is larger than the hole you drilled for epoxy.

Thank you