Author Topic: Anti-Fouling Props....??  (Read 1529 times)

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Lagoon
  • Boat Year: 1990
Anti-Fouling Props....??
« on: May 10 2021, 11:37 »
After many years of failed attempts to anti-foul our VP 3 blade folding prop, either because the coating didn't work or it fell off.....There's a habit around these parts for folk to simply paint the prop with whatever they used on the hull, and I have more than a few friends and neighbours who swear by it.....
Is painting a 'bronze' prop with ordinary anti-fouling a reasonable idea.........??   Bill.

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Anti-Fouling Props....??
« Reply #1 on: May 10 2021, 12:35 »
I have a VP 3-blade folding prop and have found that the best option is not to use any coating. Each spring on haul out I use brick acid on the prop - 'paint' on with an old /disposable brush-leave for 10 mins and all the calcium based critters will be gone (use gloves/goggles of course). Flush with fresh water and dry. I then clean the prop with a brass wire disk brush in a drill - it comes up nice and shinny. If replacing the main anode then you will take the prop off completely and can bench mount to clean. Of course much depends on where you are and how much fouling you get.
I would not think that standard anti-fouling would adhere well to a brass prop - but many use Velox (with primer base) and get good results in my yard.

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #2 on: May 10 2021, 13:08 »
I used a product called PropSpeed I think it is just an expensive clear epoxy applied after polishing the prop.
Had it applied professionally.
I did not see any significant improvement.

I will not use it again.

Regards

Aquapore

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: May 10 2021, 13:40 »
This stuff works if applied properly
antifoulingpaint.net/applyingvelox.html

Did it 2 years ago on my 2 blade Flexofold - just the blades, although you can do the hub as well.

Light slime on the outside of the blade only - the bit exposed when the prop is at folded. Photos show at lift and wash a couple of weeks ago after 9 months in the water and before launch last year.

Highly recommended.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 10 2021, 13:43 »
I just clean and polish each time.  Gave up putting anything on them years ago. Nothing seemed to work.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 10 2021, 14:52 »
Many thanks for the suggestions and info. I tried Velox a few years ago but as Symphony said, preparation is literally the 'key' as it only stayed on a couple of weeks.
I've used Lanoguard (Lanolin) a few times and it does work but again it wears off pretty quick...It may have been previous Lanoguard treatments that compromised the Velox...
I think I'll simply polish it and see what happens.............Bill.

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 10 2021, 15:34 »
Preparation is not difficult if you follow the instructions in the link. I took the blades off and did them at home. Definitely need the proper primer.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #7 on: May 11 2021, 11:13 »
Another recommendation for Velox plus. We're wintering in an extreme fouling marina and the prop still produces thrust this spring, which is unusual for most of the boats here, which are just swirling around a bush!
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Jake

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 44
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #8 on: May 12 2021, 12:25 »
I used Propspeed on my last haulout.  It worked for almost a year, but ultimately became fouled and hard to clean.  I am going with Velox this year after reading several good reviews.  It has to be better than nothing.  I don't mind diving on the boat every month or two, but the hull doesn't need cleaning that often.  We'll see how this goes...

Put on a new FlexoFold prop (18x14) on my Bav 44 this year.  It was a little difficult to put 80 grit sandpaper to the new shiny prop, but that's all part of the prep work.

Cheers,

Jake
Jake Brodersen
Winedown
Bavaria 44

marioxp

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
« Reply #9 on: May 14 2021, 09:09 »
Velox is the best antifouling!

The picture is of the propeller after a year, I am very pleased.

JEN-et-ROSS

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 14 2021, 09:20 »
Looks like Velox gets the top spot. Although the boat went in yesterday, so I've simply buffed up the prop to a high gloss and coated it with water resistant grease as recommended by some North American forums. (Should help for a wee while).....But next season I'll use Velox again but pay more attention to the preparation.......Many thanks for all the advice....Bill

aquapore

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: bavaria 41
« Reply #11 on: May 16 2021, 10:56 »
I think all of these coating products rely on creating a smooth surface that makes it harder for the marine freeloaders from adhering to the surface. Not a mechanism that gives me with a load of confidence.

Polishing and frequent cleaning is perhaps the only real solution.

Regards

Aquapore

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: May 16 2021, 11:51 »
While regular cleaning does seem to keep props clean it is hardly a "practical" solution when painting with Velox achieves the same result without any need to dive down to clean or have the boat lifted!