Author Topic: 110V Circuit Breaker Tripping  (Read 1675 times)

jofconnor

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Vision 42
  • Boat Year: 2017
110V Circuit Breaker Tripping
« on: April 18 2021, 14:49 »
Hello.  New to the forum... with a 2017 Vision 42.

When on shore power, plugging anything (even a voltmeter) into the wall socket in the aft cabin will trip the main shore power breaker.  This only happens when the breakers in the cabin for BOTH "socket heads" (breaker #1) and "sockets" (breaker #2) are in "on" position.   

1) Any ideas out there?
2) Does anyone know what "socket heads" means in contrast to just "sockets"?  In the original manual, the #1 Breaker is labeled as "Head".

Thank you!

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: 110V Circuit Breaker Tripping
« Reply #1 on: April 20 2021, 19:47 »
just a guess but is socket heads for a shaver socket in the heads and if an electric heads pump is used ?

nightowle

• Able Seaman
  • S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #2 on: April 21 2021, 00:31 »
Jofconnor --

This could be a real longshot as I'm not very knowledgable about electric currents.  We have 110v on our 35E and replaced the charger with an inverter/charger installed in Canada and then traveled back to our homeport in Washington.  The breaker would trip either by plugging something in randomly, or it would just happen almost randomly on its own.  It happened mostly at our slip (where the power pedestals had been upgraded with the latest fault protection) and not USUALLY elsewhere.  I say usually because it did happen at other marinas while traveling.  After a lot of trial and error I hired an electrician that found our new ground wire for the inverter/charger was not installed correctly.  Apparently, they do it a bit different in Canada.  Go figure, I wish I could tell you more.  Again, a long shot.
S/V In Deep - 1999 Bavaria 35E
Seattle, WA USA

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: April 21 2021, 07:50 »
No ideas based on problem description or specific installation requirements for American 110V systems, but...

Since messing with mains power may end up with oneself or your crew in leading position (pun intended), I would suggest hiring a qualified electrician.

Since neither of the "socket" breakers trip it sounds like the "main breaker" you report as tripping is the RCD - hopefully only neutral and protective earth are somehow falsely connected  :-\

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina
..some electrical safety background in European domestic installations & medical devices...

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 02 2021, 15:13 »
Hi,

Have a look at my post, WARNING: Shore Power Circuit Plugs http://bavariayacht.org/forum/index.php/topic,3146.0.html
the plugs that are used on the shore power 110/240VAC circuit are not sealed plugs. It is possible for them to get moisture in them that may cause an earth leakage or short fault.

Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009