Author Topic: engine bay fire extinguisher  (Read 1974 times)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
engine bay fire extinguisher
« on: April 12 2021, 08:10 »
morning all, the insurance is now asking for a fire extinguisher fitted in the engine bay, either automatic or one that can be fired by remote from the deck. has anyone fitted one, if so what type and whare has it been located and secured, ime on a bav 33c and not a lot of space in the engine bay.
the things ime thinking about are 1. weight,size and mouting, 2. remote fired (surley an electrical cable would fail as its it the fire as well)
3, cable operated,(small cables have a tendancy to sieze) 4, type probably go for a gas or dry water mist as not keen on dry powder due to an accidental discharge makes a right mess.

ime looking for ideas of how to do this.
thanks
phil

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: engine bay fire extinguisher
« Reply #1 on: April 12 2021, 09:52 »
One of those snakey things would definitely take up the least space:

https://www.fireextinguishersale.com/shop/fss-uk-automatic-fire-suppression-system-automotive-tube-extinguisher-for-trucks-vans-sports-cars-luxury-cars-boats-yachts/

Apparently they cannot be serviced though and must be replaced after 5 years :(

Out of curiosity, which insurance is asking for this?
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 12 2021, 10:17 »
One of these will satisfy your insurer - and do the job in the extremely unlikely event of a fire in the engine bay. fireblitz.co.uk/product/automatic-extinguisher-clean-agent-gas-1kg/

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: April 12 2021, 10:37 »
hi yngmar and sympony2, had seen flexi pipe ones but connected to a tank, seriously costly around 1300 squid, so that went out of the window,
 i was looking at the 1kg type but was wondering what the temp got to in the engine compartment ? as they  fire off 79 deg +- 5 so possibly at 74 deg.
i havn't got the info as to who insures it with me, but saw it in the small print last year,states somthing like fires originating in eng compartmet would not be covered unless automatic fire ext fitted in bay or extinuisher capable of being fired from cockpit being installed.
i hadnt bothered about it as we havnt been able to get to the boat since last sepember (covid restrictions) and as everything is switched off and shore disconected not a lot could happen.
hoping to go down on 23 and was looking to get things bought before going down for the weekend.

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: April 12 2021, 11:38 »
At the peak of Greek summer after long hours of motoring, our engine room ambient temperature reached slightly over 50°C. I fitted a blower since so now it tops out at 40°C.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: April 12 2021, 12:22 »
i doubt it will get that warm over here, thanks for the answers, have ordered one of the 1k ones.
phil

diverphil

• Able Seaman
« Reply #6 on: April 26 2021, 18:27 »
been down this weekend, fitted a 1kg in engine bay, and changed the powder one in the saloon for a 3ltr water mist.
thanks for your reply's.
Phil

Vasco

• Cadet
    • Skokie
  • Boat Model: Ocean 40
« Reply #7 on: May 19 2021, 10:07 »
According to Yngmar, I myself measured a temperature of about 55 degrees Celsius as well. Baltic Sea in summer