Author Topic: Adding a Helm Seat to a Bavaria 38 Cruiser (2008)  (Read 1675 times)

Run_sk

• Swab
Hello,
Am considering a B38 Cruiser as next boat and like almost everything except the lack of helm seat. Have looked online to see if there's an add on but to no avail.
I assume it's technically possible to install one across the gap in front of the bathing platform but I haven't seen any examples in all the boats I've seen online or on the water.
The ability to choose to sit behind the wheel, or simply slide from side to side without falling into the gap seems pretty fundamental to me.

Does anyone know whether they exist or has anyone solved the same problem?
Thanks,

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Adding a Helm Seat to a Bavaria 38 Cruiser (2008)
« Reply #1 on: March 30 2021, 22:21 »
Do you have a photograph of the “Gap?”

I’ve  not seen a Bavaria yet that didn't have a helm seat, other than my own B36(2002) for a brief period while it was a charter boat, and during which time one of the charterers had stood up quickly, caught the bench seat which was rested across the gap area. At the time the rope securing had been released while berthed, and had not been tied back on before going sailing. The seat fell down into the bathing platform area of the sugar scoop before falling over side, and at which point the charterers realised that it didn't swim. A new bench seat was ordered from the importer, and the cost was something over £300 at the time. The replacement seat was secured in place with a bungee cord where both ends were permanently fixed to the boat so that it couldn’t be untied or accidentally lost again.

Bobb

• Cadet
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 31 2021, 22:44 »
I have a 2009 Bav Cruiser 36 which i bought also w/o the helm seat. I kludged one by first positioning two stainless steel tubes across the rear rails on each side that then take 1/2" poly seats (nice to have that Hunter look!), and then made a wooden seat that spans the stainless tubes .. which is then at a nice height. Painted, they look almost ok. Have to pull it out and place it along the side rails when stopped, but then things are open in the stern.

if you really want to see the set up, let me know and i'll take photos next time i'm aboard.

good luck!

Run_sk

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: April 08 2021, 10:10 »
Thanks for your suggestions.
Have attached a picture of the helm area. As you can see, no mounting for a seat. I can see how you should be able to fit one but can't understand why they aren't readily available.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: April 09 2021, 03:01 »
Suggest you secure two wooden or plastic bearers in place, one on each side bench on its vertical side, and then cut and rest a wooden plank across on top of the bearers and between the side benches, job done!!