Author Topic: Tricolour/Anchor light 2002 Bav 32 Also VHF Antenna question please.  (Read 1284 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
My mast is about to be unstepped.   I have several fit out jobs to do on it. 

I need to source LED replacement bulbs for the Tricolour and also the Anchor light.

Mostly the cap is B15d on navigation lights but does anyone own a similar age vessel and can they confirm the cap please before I order new bulbs?

Also I need to replace the VHF antenna as the cable that is visable shows signs of cracking up. I need to use it for AIS reception/transmission as well as the R/T.   I own an AIS transponder used in conjunction with an AIS/R/T splitter unit that functioned with the old antenna.   Has anyone done tests and they comment on a good mast fitted antenna that works well with AIS please?

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
I need to source LED replacement bulbs for the Tricolour and also the Anchor light.
Don't know the exect type of your nav and anchor light, but if you have standard bulbs in use, they will very likely be of BAY15d socket type. For an anchor light with a visible angle of 360 degrees a replacement is straight forward.  For the 3 color light an usual corncob type replacement is problematic, as the angles of the 3 sectors arent precise anymore (the standard BAY15d bulbs have a single vertical tungsten filament). I would suggest a change of the whole light combination (anchor and tricolor) to a LED type and not to replace the bulbs only.
Also I need to replace the VHF antenna as the cable that is visable shows signs of cracking up. I need to use it for AIS reception/transmission as well as the R/T.   I own an AIS transponder used in conjunction with an AIS/R/T splitter unit that functioned with the old antenna.   Has anyone done tests and they comment on a good mast fitted antenna that works well with AIS please?
Usually there should be a joint/plug between the antenna and the cable, so there is no reason to change the antenna, if the cable isn't fine anymore. If you change the antenna, every omnidirectional antenna for VHF-use will be fine. If you are replacing the cable, take a low loss coax-cable with the exact fitting plugs and mind the bending diameter. Also mind the diameter of your existing cable gland to feed the cable through the deck. Prevent getting water in your joints/plugs using heat shrink tube.   

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
As SYJetzt has pointed out, the cut off points with the corncob style of LED replacement light fittings becomes horribly confused where each of the red/green/white sectors become extended by some twenty to forty degrees or more due to the size of the respective sectors on the corncob light itself. This can lead to confusion at night as to whether you are in an overtaking or crossing situation, or if meeting end on or nearly end on whether it is a port side light or starboard that can be seen. I would strongly recommend that corncob style navigation lights are avoided altogether, and in my mind they should be banned. This might mean buying a new and dedicated LED lantern with very precise cut off points for the red/green/white sectors, although for an anchor light only the corncob style bulb would be okay.

As for the type of base that an individual light should have, the attached photo might help to narrow down its precise base specification.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
On my upgrade list I have a dedicated anchor-tricolour-combi led fixture intended for "traditional" anchor light housing. This model would overcome the challenges of overlapping sectors that corncob bulbs suffer from and doesn't need more that one 12v supply. You would select between the tricolour and all-white mode by quick on-off-on cycle.

The type is depicted here http://www.marineled.fr/en/navigation-lights/72-tricombo-navigation-bay15d.html, there are for sure also other chandlers selling the same item.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
Thank you everyone.