Poll

here's a forum where an indepedant view on these 'affordable' yachts can be gained. So, as a Bavaria owner, would you buy one again?

without doubt
98 (67.6%)
I'd have a good look at the market
45 (31%)
I'd have my doubts
0 (0%)
Not keen
1 (0.7%)
avoid at all costs
1 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Buy a Bavaria?  (Read 20968 times)

Escapade

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 35 Exclusive
  • Boat Year: 1997
Re: Buy a Bavaria?
« Reply #25 on: January 04 2018, 20:55 »
I did recently buy (June2017)  my B35E - 1997 after having sold my Beneteau Oceanis 323 - 2005.
I am now retired and was looking for a slightly larger boat. I decided to buy a boat older than the previous one because i liked her classic hull shape, the moderate freebord, good sail performance, the warm interiors with plenty of stowage and her pristine conditions in general.
Build quality well above my earlier Beneteau.
Well built electrical and water systems, interiors are nearly perfect notwithstanding the age.
Definitely I would buy another Bav with similar build quality again.
Cheers
Bavaria 35 Exclusive -1997

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #26 on: January 05 2018, 04:34 »
Would I buy another Bavaria after the issues I've had with Bavaria USA being fired by Yachtbau?  Unfortunately, yes, without a doubt.  I would, however, hit the market looking for a reputable, honorable and trusting dealer.  Perhaps in the Caribbean.  NOT PYS, however. 

Boat, after commissioning issues, A/C mods, being shafted by Yachtbau, has been fantastic.  The Germans do build a great boat.  Yes, they cut some corners but not where it counts:  hull, partner selection, OEM parts selection, fit/finish, functional design.   

Was is "sail away ready" as advertised, no way.  But, after a season of fixes and upgrades, it is now. 

Could have purchased a local boat (Tartan 43), but would have paid lots more.  In fact, a fellow on our dock sold his and his "depreciation" loss was greater than the cost of my Vision.  So, even if mine is 100% depreciation, I wouldn't have lost what he did.  Crazy.  He did have a sweet ride, but I wouldn't trade mine for his. 

So, while I may bash the manufacturer due to warranty issues and firing their dealer, which basically left me on my own, I can't bash the boat. 

Really wanted to see the C57 in Miami though! 

Great to see the forum up and running again.
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

SofiaB

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2016
« Reply #27 on: January 06 2018, 14:06 »
Tommi,

Having spent several days and nights swinging from the ceiling in challenging weather I agree that many of the new cruisers on the market are a large open world of pain! Oh the initial flight would be exhilarating, just the stop at the end would take the shine off it. Though it could be used to practice flying the art of throwing oneself at the ground and missing!
Cheers

Tommi,  I debated the open saloon in our Vision 46, but with our type of sailing, it's perfect.  I do question whether I would need to bring those jack-lines down below on a passage, but I'll consider that when/if I decide to attempt a passage.  We have hit 55 knots in heavy seas and with the boat heeled, it's so far been safe.  Though the grab rails on the ceiling are somewhat high, we are both tall so no issues.  At 5'6" or shorter, those hand rails on the roof would be useless and then the boat would be totally unsafe.  Once in the galley (or the head), you are locked in. 

We have never sailed in tight quarters but I would image it would be safer, but I would image more banging into stuff but shorter and therefore slower speeds when you hit.  With longer ways to travel and acceleration, less bangs, but more pain with each.  Got it.  What do you sail?
Cheers,  Stuart  (Sofia)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #28 on: January 08 2018, 07:23 »
I took a look at the brochure photos of Vision 46 and have to admit that Vision range is definitely a major step up from current Cruiser range in terms of hefty rounded edges in interior woodwork.

We are sailing a 3-cabin layout Bavaria 40 (2001 vintage) Aft Cockpit - from the era when there were no separate Cruiser, Match, Holiday, Vision or C ranges - just Bavarias with either aft cockpit and some models available as center-cockpit (Ocean). We are a family sailing with two kids and every now and then also my mother-in-law. Currently we would have two members in our crew with serious trouble reaching the ceiling grab rails. While in the relatively shallow Baltic Sea the waves are often steeper than in ocean, we are currently more than happy with the "old-fashioned" cramped design. Similar boat seen in  https://www.devalk.nl/images/thumbnails/website/bavaria-40-3-32323_20e.jpg. Experience (one tired falldown) from last summer in 2m+ waves told me to add a vertical grabrail opposite to chart table between heads door and pentry.

Ocean waves and taller crew - yes I see perfectly how a Vision could be nice as well.

Happy sailing,

Tommi / sy Anniina

Kibo

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Vision 46
  • Boat Year: 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 08 2018, 14:18 »
My wife is 5'2" and cannot reach the overhead grab rails on our V46. We solved this by making subway train type hanging straps which loop on easily. I made them from strong line and the handle kits that are intended for carrying kayaks. They hang about 12" down at regular intervals.

The other point on the V46 is that the companionway if offset from the centre line so the galley area is essentially a wrap around style with the sink along the centre line of the boat and much safer for working in than the inline galleys in many cruiser range boats like my old C42. 
Ian
SV Kibo, 2014 Bavaria Vision 46

New Wave

• Swab
  • Boat Model: 44 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2008
« Reply #30 on: April 28 2018, 16:50 »
I just bought my third Bavaria. First one was a B37 from 2005. Bought it new and sailed it for 10 years in North Western Europe. Lots of fun and a great boat. Never any trouble. Then changed to a 2004 Bavaria 38 in Greece. Fantastic boat as well.
Now recently bought a 2008 44 Vision and we can’t wait to sail that round Europe to Greece.
The fun in owning a Bavaria is in all the negative comments that people have for your boat. Often even from people that don’t even own a boat themselves. So it gives you great insight in the character of many people. I find that very useful.

Robert Spikins

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #31 on: December 16 2018, 13:21 »
I BOUGHT MY 1998  BAVARIA OCEAN 38 NEW AND SAILED AS FAR AS THE FAROES AND ALMOST EVERYWHERE IN NORTHEN AND EASTER EUROPE. FANTASTIC BOAT NO MAJOR FAILURE OF ANY TYPE. IF ONLY THEY MADE NEW ONES LIKE THIS. HAD TWO DIRECT OFFERS BUT ONLY MY AGE WILL MAKE ME SELL HER AND I AIN'T THERE YET.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #32 on: December 17 2018, 06:05 »
...........BUT ONLY MY AGE WILL MAKE ME SELL HER AND I AIN'T THERE YET.

Yes, me too and I’ve added another five years since my reply no 12 to this thread.

seagran

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46 Style
  • Boat Year: 2018
« Reply #33 on: December 09 2020, 11:55 »
I have been on quite a lot of Boat models throughout the years and chartered many different brands before finally deciding on Bavaria two years ago. I am still super happy about this decision! Spent so much time on board during this special year, it feels like home. Hardly ever had any troubles with her :) So yes I'd definetly buy it again and recommend it to others.

Jeffatoms

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Ocean 38
  • Boat Year: 1998
« Reply #34 on: January 03 2021, 02:05 »
We have owned Zephyrus, a 1998 Bavaria Ocean 38, for 4 years.  We have lived aboard for 2-1/2 years.  The boat has many sunny ocean miles on it and the UV has caused some damage that we hope to address soon.  All said, we are extremely pleased with the boat and would definitely buy one again.  It sails like a dream, it solid and is built with fine woods and craftsmanship not generally found any more. Though we would like a cutter rig or removable inner forestay, we have no complaints.

Secret World

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #35 on: January 03 2021, 18:01 »
I have a 2007 Bavaria30, bought new, which I sail with my wife. We have been very pleased. It has been almost faultless and looks nearly new. We plan to sell later this year and replace it with a new B32. Like most others, we consider the new interior to be awful but value for money makes it a natural replacement. This is unless another manufacturer can compete.

I have the same boat, same year as you so am pleased to read your comment. We've had ours for three months and having spent that time crawling around it everywhere I'd say compared to the previous 5 boats we've owned, the access to every area and system in the boat is appreciated. I also think the German engineering shines through in ways; there's just enough room (by centimetres) to effectively support the two stateroom layout in a 31' LOA. I've also recognized that the fittings, systems, hardware etc., are of a decent quality throughout as Bav didn't source the cheapest junk to fit out the boat. Like other comments, I do not like the new design or interiors of the Bavs and would pick our '07 over new even at same price.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: July 15 2021, 16:57 »
I've now had my one for  just over 18 years.  How time flies.