Author Topic: Bavaria 36 2002 - fuel tank stand pipe planar heater  (Read 1215 times)

dcreedon

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Bavaria 36 2002 - fuel tank stand pipe planar heater
« on: February 28 2021, 18:38 »
Hi, some advice please . I’ve a 150l fuel tank on the starboard side of my Bav 36. Just finishing off the install of a planar 44d heater and I’m at the part where I’m sucking diesel :-) . Or would like to.

I’ve four inlets/outlets on the fuel tank two are in use by the engine. And two are not . I’ve opened up one (deepest one left) see picture. I’d like to use the existing attachement on the tank if possible but the pick up that came with the planar (attached) would require the existing inlet to be removed  I think .

Otherwise sourcing another pick up for the tank that fits the existing inlet would be another option.  Any thoughts on this ?

Salty

• Old Salt
Re: Bavaria 36 2002 - fuel tank stand pipe planar heater
« Reply #1 on: February 28 2021, 20:39 »
On my B36(2002), the CAV fuel filter located just inside and immediately aft of the engine compartment starboard side door, had two outlets on its aft side. One was used to supply the engine, while the second outlet, immediately next to the first, supplied fuel to the heater. The fuel supply take off point from the fuel tank under the starboard cabin bunk board, entered the tank at a location where it was likely to have access to a deeper point within the fuel tank than one or other of those that you are referring to. My thinking is that this deeper suction point would be better from the heating point of view as it would enable your heater to use as much of the remaining fuel within your tank during the over winter lay up period when many boats are stored on shore. This was my own personal, preference as it enabled me to empty the tank over winter before adding in fresh diesel fuel. It also saved having to make or find an alternative fuel supply for the heater, and mainly because that was how the boat came when I bought it second hand when the boat was about eight years old. Basically if it worked, then don't fix it, and it worked for me, so I left it alone save for those occasions when I wanted to run my fuel polishing system, when I would connect in to that take off point using a new “T” piece and blanking plug that I bought from our nearby hydraulics supplies outlet where they were able to supply the correct plumbing fittings to match the thread sizes on the existing fittings. (The fuel suction to the polishing system would connect into the otherwise blanked off end on the “T” piece).

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: February 28 2021, 22:12 »
The spare original tank fittings are just compression fittings - take one of the engine ones apart to see what you need if not sure. Then you simply fit a copper pipe into one of them, cut it to length and reduce it to the sized needed for the heater.

Drilling into the tank to fit the new one is problematic, as there's no way to avoid plastic shavings falling into the tank, which can cause a lot of trouble when sucked into the engine intake, as they might block the shut-off valve (if present) or the pipe, before reaching the pre-filter. Would avoid that if possible, especially since the tank is probably like ours and has no inspection hatch to clean out the drilling debris.

Normally the heater standpipe is shorter than the engine one so the heater can never run the tank so low that you cannot get back into the harbour.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

dcreedon

• Swab
« Reply #3 on: March 29 2021, 19:26 »
Right, all done and up and running, thanks for your help.