Author Topic: Retrofitting an anchor light (Bav 32 2002 year)  (Read 1163 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Retrofitting an anchor light (Bav 32 2002 year)
« on: February 24 2021, 13:06 »
Whilst laid up in my boatyard, I am planning to clean and service my mast and get the yard to replace the standing rigging.

I have not been up in the bosun's chair since purchasing my boat but there is definitely no anchor light and I intend fitting one.

On my last boat I had an Aquasignal Tricolour to which I fitted on the top face another all round (B15s cap LED) anchor light.   I believe this was also an Aqua signal make.   It was very successsful and lasted many years bolted on top and sealed with silicone sealant.

Does anyone know if the above vintage boat has fitted by the makers the Aqua Signal tricolour please and can anyone give some helpful information regarding the wiring?   I expect to have to add another single 2.5sq mm cable for this and run it up the mast.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
Re: Retrofitting an anchor light (Bav 32 2002 year)
« Reply #1 on: February 25 2021, 07:07 »
On my B36(2002) an Aquasignal tricolour light was fitted which also had an anchor light as part of the system, with the anchor light fitted, if I remember correctly, immediately below the tricolour navigation light. Each lantern had its own light bulb and the combined fitting was supplied by a single three core cable. Two of the cores carried positive current, while the remaining core was the common earth. Because of Bavaria’s use of ordinary copper wired cabling and the consequent corrosion, I did have to replace the original and renewed it using tinned copper.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
Re: Retrofitting an anchor light (Bav 32 2002 year)
« Reply #2 on: February 25 2021, 15:05 »
Many thanks Salty.

I feel that on my boat, unlike yours, the original installation did not provide for an anchor light.   I have looked with binoculars and there does not appear to be one.   Also with the wiring, there are not enough wires.   

I much appreciate your warning regarding cabling corrosion and voltage drop.   I am now forewarned - so thanks!