Author Topic: Bavaria 31 speed transducer change  (Read 128 times)

mbelusic

  • Cadet
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Boat Model: bavaria 31 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Bavaria 31 speed transducer change
« on: February 22 2021, 10:22 »
I have Bavaria 31 Cruiser model 2008. As usual,  Raymarine speed  transducer with wheel usualy become blocked after month or two. Would like to chenge it with Elektromagnetic Log with Databox from NASA MARINE. Kindly ask if somebody has experiance with that change. Tks

symphony2

  • First Mate
  • ***
  • Posts: 60
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Bavaria 31 speed transducer change
« Reply #1 on: February 23 2021, 15:27 »
This outputs to NMEA-0183, which I don't think is compatible with Seatalk used on your Raymarine display heads.

tiger79

  • Old Salt
  • *****
  • Posts: 574
  • 2014 Cruiser 37
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 37
  • Boat Year: 2014
Re: Bavaria 31 speed transducer change
« Reply #2 on: February 23 2021, 18:54 »
I have Bavaria 31 Cruiser model 2008. As usual,  Raymarine speed  transducer with wheel usualy become blocked after month or two.

Have you tried antifouling the transducer?  I do it a couple of times a year and the transducer works fine.

I wouldn't replace a decent transducer with anything made by Nasa Marine.

Salty

  • Old Salt
  • *****
  • Posts: 1166
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Bavaria 31 speed transducer change
« Reply #3 on: February 23 2021, 20:06 »
This outputs to NMEA-0183, which I don't think is compatible with Seatalk used on your Raymarine display heads.

I don't have any experience with their electromagnetic log speed instrument, though I had been considering it. I did replace a faulty Raymarine wind speed and direction system with a Nasa wireless wind. It worked beautifully and it was a darn sight more reliable than the Raymarine system where I’d had to replace the wind transducer twice with new instruments. Also got my money back from one firm who had charged me for installing a new wire from the transducer all the way down inside the mast, only for me to find out sometime later that it hadn't been changed at all. There had been a change in some of the coloured cores, and the local agent had come to fit yet another transducer. Really glad I changed to Nasa as the instrument has been much more reliable than the Raymarine system it replaced, and not needing a wire down inside the mast was a bonus. And no, I didn't bother integrating it into the other Raymarine instruments. There didn't seem to be much point in doing so. I had in the past used an Actisense device to convert NMEA 0183 to 2000, and that was worth doing as it allowed AIS to display on my chart Plotter, though it wasn’t cheap.

mbelusic

  • Cadet
  • *
  • Posts: 5
  • Boat Model: bavaria 31 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2008
Re: Bavaria 31 speed transducer change
« Reply #4 on: February 23 2021, 20:54 »
Tks for suggestion Tiger,
Few months ago I already bought new Raymarine transducer and carefully put antifouling on it, but it become again blocked after some time even I am using my boat at least once a month,
Its not a problem to clean transducer. but I don't like a mess of salty water doing it in the water.
I have already B&G Vulcan plotter in the system so connection to NMEA might be possible.