Author Topic: Quelle taille de bouteille de gaz ?  (Read 3011 times)

Porquerolles

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 42 Vision
  • Boat Year: 2019
Quelle taille de bouteille de gaz ?
« on: May 05 2020, 17:32 »
Hello
On our Bavaria 42 Vision we use gas cylinders type 907 (2.750 Kg) from campingaz international.
Do you use larger capacity gas cylinders ? and if so which ones?
Thank you for your responses.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: Quelle taille de bouteille de gaz ?
« Reply #1 on: May 05 2020, 18:49 »
The gas locker on my J&J design B36(2002) is only just large enough to fit the same camping gaz 907 gas cylinder that you use. There is enough space within the lazarette to fit a larger gas storage locker, and I had thought of doing the conversion, but a new gas locker of an approptiate size would cost me more than £100 to buy, and then it would need to be fitted which I could do myself, but while a 4 or 4.5kg Calor Gas bottle would be less money to buy than the 907 Gaz bottle, as I only use one bottle of gas per year I feel that the conversion would be barely worth the effort. If I used more gas then I think changing over to calor gas of that size would be worth while.

Baddox

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #2 on: May 05 2020, 19:28 »
The gas storage locker on our Bav 30 Cruiser is small like Salty’s.  For cold weather use, I’d like to swap to a propane cylinder but even the smallest ones are too tall to fit in.

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #3 on: May 05 2020, 20:04 »
I made up a new gas bottle holder  in the existing position on my 40 cc 2001 . It takes a calor 4.5 kg and looks identical to the original. Bigger bottle better quality fittings  and much cheaper gas. I used a polythene bucket and some plaster of paris to make the mould. Geoff

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #4 on: May 05 2020, 21:04 »
Our 40 Ocean has a R907 shaped bottle holder in the portside lazarette (from factory). Thought about changing it, but it would be a lot of work, so never did.

Turns out the R907 is fine. One bottle lasts us about 3 months with a bit of gas saving (like pre-boiling the pasta water in the electric kettle when we have power). Refills are available from various unofficial places between 5 and 15 EUR as well as the official bottle swap dealers (25 EUR). When going to Spain, avoid swapping a Genuine Camping Gaz bottle for a identical but differently painted Butsir bottle - difficult to get swapped back!

We have four bottles on board, one in the gas locker and the others in the sail locker. This is a separate locker, not vented, but not connected to the cabin either, only accessible by hatch from the deck. Not ideal, but the best we can do, and not caused any issues.

Camping Gaz appears to be the most widely supported format, so you spend less time in expensive rental cars driving around to the island's gas refinery to get your 10kg bottle refilled - oh and please come back the next day to pick it up (done that in the Canaries on another boat - lesson learnt, stick with camping gaz, which we could've had in the marina office).
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #5 on: May 06 2020, 06:15 »
Our 40 aft-cockpit has a standard factory fitted gas locker at stern, but the PO had modified gas routing so that a gas cylinder would be located in port cockpit locker (under cockpit settee). This did enable fitting bigger cylinder - a Finnish type 5kg one instead of struggling to fit even the 2kg-type in original location.

With this kind of mod, you obviously have to re-think about the venting of the cockpit locker...

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

geoff

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: 40 ocean
« Reply #6 on: May 06 2020, 08:15 »
I keep my spare calor 4.5 in a plastic sealed drum in the anchor locker. vented of course but needs to come out to raise the anchor. Geoff

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #7 on: May 06 2020, 08:17 »
We often cook on our boat, so we need a lot of gas (8 - 10 per season).
In Croatia the original CG cylinders are quite expensive to change and not available everywhere, and sometimes not easy to get them refilled (only with a small amount of bakshish), because it seems to be illegal. 

I replaced my Camping Gaz cylinders with aluminium cylinders of same size and shape. They have a bleeding valve, which allows refilling by myself.
No hassle with rusty cylinders, no driving around to find (illegal) refilling stations for the CG cylinders.
I bought a set of international valve adapters to attach any gas cylinder, and a high pressure hose to connect the bottles. So i can use any type of refilling cylinder i could get. I have 3 of these aluminium cylinders, 2 stored in the original lockers, and the third one in a gas proof box in the cockpit locker with a venting tube to outboard .

Yes, i know, not a thing for everyone, and might be dangerous. But i always check the weight of the fresh filled cylinder with a scale and the filling level of the cylinder to not overfill them.

Porquerolles

• First Mate
« Reply #8 on: May 06 2020, 11:53 »
Hello,
Thank you for all your answers. The most widespread model of gas cylinder seems to be that of "campingaz international". They manufacture a R 909 gas bottle, a little larger (5.7kg), but which is only sold .... in Italy!

Secret World

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 08 2021, 04:56 »
The gas storage locker on our Bav 30 Cruiser is small like Salty’s.  For cold weather use, I’d like to swap to a propane cylinder but even the smallest ones are too tall to fit in.

Your comment is interesting; I have a 10 lb. propane tank in my gas storage locker (same Bav as yours.) It's a bit tricky to remove as it has to be strategically rotated to pass under the propane solenoid, but it works well. Maybe it's a North American thing?

Porquerolles

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: March 04 2021, 11:49 »
Question from a complete "neophyte"  :):
Is it possible to switch from butane to propane without affecting the operation of the gas stove?

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #11 on: March 04 2021, 15:05 »
Question from a complete "neophyte"  :):
Is it possible to switch from butane to propane without affecting the operation of the gas stove?

the gas nozzles for propane and butane are the same ones, so it does not affect the operation of your stove.
The only difference between both  is the minimum operation temperature of the gas cylinders. Butane will not work in temperatures under 5°C (does not evaporate!), while propane will work till -20°C.