Author Topic: Lofrans Tigres on an Ocean  (Read 1457 times)

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Lofrans Tigres on an Ocean
« on: March 14 2021, 12:01 »
I want to  change the windlass - Its a standard SL type with a single gypsy. Its well used and gobbles up the chain too quickly. Also gypsy is 3/8 and incompatible with 10mm stainless chain I have kept from my previous boat. So I now have a Lofrans Tigress. Its a bit taller than the SL  and with the cleat on top  would make contact with the anchor well hatch.  I am thinking I could make a cut in the hatch for the cleat - with a raised and hinged cover over it. Or I could mount the windlass lower down in the  anchor locker to  provide space for the hatch lid. But in which  case the angle from the anchor fairlead would be quite steep  and the chain might slip on the gypsy. Maybe an intermediate roller could correct  the angle. Anyone done this or have thoughts about a solution?   

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
Re: windlass replacement modification
« Reply #1 on: March 14 2021, 14:39 »
Hi ,
I suggest not to lower fir the reason you mentioned , the angle will be greater I guess than 90 degrees so when your chain or gypsy gets wear it will jump and slip. Also by lowering you ll have less volume for the anchor chain pile. I have also the tigress Lofrans but without the cleat on top. You can cut it if you don’t use it ( you can use the deck cleats)

Ziffius

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #2 on: March 16 2021, 06:46 »
There is a charter company where I am that remounts their windlasses on top of the anchor locker because the chain angle on the gypsy isn’t enough when the windlasses is mounted in the official place.
I haven’t gone that far but I did raise my windlass as much as I could and still close the hatch by mounting on a piece of oak.
In your case I would go for a cut out in the hatch lid.

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
« Reply #3 on: March 16 2021, 08:28 »
I would go the way as elias suggested and remove the cleat in the top of the winch. i would not use that cleat to secure the anchor tackle, because the whole pedestal, on which the winch sits is not so strong to take the full load. It is better to use the deck cleats instead of the one on the winch. If possible, you can remount the winch a lot higher to get a higher angle on the gypsy.

blue-max

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: ocean 47
  • Boat Year: 2000
Lofrans Tigres on an Ocean
« Reply #4 on: March 16 2021, 12:17 »
I am going to  change the windlass (SL) with a Lofrans tigres which has a taller profile. I may have to  cut a hole in the anchor well lid to  allow for the cleat on top  of the windlass to  be free from contact  when the lid is closed. Also need to sort out the bow roller fitting to  allow for a rope fairlead to  the windlass. Thinking of an intermediary roller to  bring back  chain angle to  the horizontal. Any ideas about this welcome 

elias

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 44
  • Boat Year: 2003
« Reply #5 on: March 16 2021, 13:30 »
As mentioned above I raised too the windlass with an plastic piece at the point it touches the grp lid when closed . I anchor every day for at least 2 times in different spots and always more than 50m of chain dropped . When the chain is getting old and corroded the average thickness drops and combined with a an angle over 90degrees it slips from the gypsy. So anchor system tear and wear is a key point than the cleat for me

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Lofrans Tigres on an Ocean
« Reply #6 on: March 16 2021, 13:45 »
I've merged the redundant threads on the same subject and moved them to the help forum.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)