Author Topic: Just about to sign for a new Bavaria 34. Any advice?  (Read 3616 times)

Boatswain

• Swab
Just about to sign for a new Bavaria 34. Any advice?
« on: January 20 2021, 01:35 »
Hi there
Just joined this forum
I'm about to sign for a new Bavaria 34 which they tell me will be delivered around September 2021.
I've owned several boats over the years - 38 Hunter, 28 ft Catalina and chartered several Dufour, Beneteau in the BVI
Over 20 years sailing experience
Now, I'm wondering what features on a Bavaria 34 are worth paying for.
I think I'll go for in-mast furling since I'll be single handing quite a bit.
Oak interior brightens the cabin.
Anything you'd love or would avoid?
Appreciate any ideas/suggestions. I'll be deciding over the next couple of weeks
Thanks in advance!

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
Re: Just about to sign for a new Bavaria 34. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: January 20 2021, 08:47 »
Welcome to the forum.

Good choice - I have a 2015 33 which is essentially the same boat. I chose the standard mahogany interior which is light with dark blue upholstery, but it is really a personal choice. As I have a very tight marina berth and usually sail single handed a bow thruster was a good decision. Also chose a furling mainsail, although regret not choosing the optional performance sails. The standard sails are cheap material and not well cut. I have had both sails recut as they were baggy and did not furl well. Worth having the second pair of winches particularly if you plan to fit a down wind sail, The standard Bavaria spray dodger is not good quality. In UK the dealer has all canvas work made locally to a much higher standard. The companionway doors and cockpit table are left bare teak and suggest you varnish straight away as they do not weather well. I used International Woodskin which lasts very well and is easy to refresh. Look carefully at the factory hot air heating system. On the single aft cabin version it may only have one outlet if it is the same as when mine was built. Better to have an outlet in the loo as well. In the UK the dealer fits a Webasto unit with 2 or 3 outlets. Don't know what the installation is on the 2 aft cabin version, but worth checking  that it is adequate for your needs. 

Apart from a few glitches with the Garmin electronics (your boat will probably have B&G) my boat has been completely trouble free.

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #2 on: January 20 2021, 08:55 »
Even though my experience is on 20yrs older and 6ft longer model, here are my opinions of the options we have on our current boat (and had on previous one)
  • keel draught - had both shallow version and currently deep lead version - I would not go on shallow except if special requirements for e.g. home port max draught
  • teak deck - enjoy it a lot, but IMHO maybe not worth in brand new boat - for us the PO had paid it and buying second hand the price difference teak/not is often insignificant
  • bow thruster - would not get one on 34ft boat (did not have / felt need on 31ft, enjoy it on 40ft)
  • cockpit table - if optional go for it, essential in anchorages, helps bracing when heeled in modern wide cockpit
  • downwind / light air sailing - item to invest in (of course depending on your sailing area / weather pattern) - enjoying both gennaker and symmetrical spinnaker in northern Baltic
  • "white sails" performace/longetivity - nothing is more frustrating than beating with saggy sails after only few seasons - I'd suggest investing in upgraded shape retaining, on 34ft it could be higher spec dacron, Hydranet and/or cut, on 40ft we have radial cruising laminate

Priority among these would very much depend on your sailing pattern / weather conditions. For me personally the last 2 bullets are high on priority list.

Many of the upgrades You can also consider after gaining experience for a season or two. Keel draught is something you however need to decide now. Upgrading basic set of white sails after couple of seasons may cost you twice.

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

Klausen

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 37 cr
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: January 20 2021, 21:46 »
I own a Bav 37, full house. Everything of the additional equipment is a wannahave: bowthruster, performance sails, infurling mast , larger winches, heater. What I miss and should have ordered is the electric anchor windlass!
greetings from germany
Klaus

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 20 2021, 22:38 »
Yes electric windlass pretty much essential if you do a lot of anchoring, particularly on your own. Best factory installed, although the Lewmar one currently fitted is perhaps not as good as the Lofrans that was fitted to earlier boats, although there is not room for it in the current 34. Having said that I have had no problems with mine and have it wired up to a Sidepower wireless control that does the bow thruster as well. Expensive but very useful.

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: January 21 2021, 09:26 »
I would definitely have an Electric Windlass, but not the Lewmar which the factory fit. Ask your dealer to fit a Lofrans assuming it will fit in the locker. Also order without the Bavaria anchor. Buy a decent new generation anchor, Spade, Knox etc.
Regarding sails the standard Elvestom aren’t great. I would order without sails and have good quality sails made locally.

symphony2

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: January 21 2021, 12:39 »
Pretty sure the Lofrans won't fit - I investigated that when I ordered mine. As I remarked earlier my Lewmar has worked perfectly for 5 years, although if I was liveaboard or chartering (like my last boat) a Lofrans would be a better bet. When the current 32/33/34 hull was designed, Lofrans were closed down through bankruptcy so there was no option but to change to Lewmar and the whole anchor locker is designed around the smaller Lewmar.

Bavaria will not delete their sails (I tried it) and the extra cost of the performance sails is less than buying a complete set from a third party. I wish I had opted for the performance sails as the reports from other owners is very positive, but I had already exceeded my budget with the other extras and the toss up was between a bow thruster and the sails. The thruster was a priority.

The standard Delta (which again you can't delete as it is part of the standard anchor package) is perfectly adequate and far better than the copy CQR they used to fit. Whether it is worth spending for a new generation anchor depends entirely on your intended usage - how often you anchor, in what weather conditions and on what type of seabeds.