Author Topic: Replacing Lewmar Pro-Fish with Lofrans Cayman 88 on 37 Cruiser 2006  (Read 1618 times)

umu

• Second Mate

Our Lewmar Pro-Fish seems to reach the end of useful life (one gear sheared off and motor dead).
Unfortunately I am far away from the boat and cannot take measurements so I was wondering if anyone with a 37 Cruiser (2005-2007 model) has
actually swapped out the Lewmar ProFish against a Lofrans Cayman.
a) Does it fit mechanically (locker lid, mounting platform etc.) or does it require alterations?
b) Can I keep using the existing solenoid, remote control and wiring (i.e. just connect windlass to the installed motor cables)?

Thanks for your help
umu

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
I’ve made the same change to my B39 2006- a very good decision!
The Lofrans windlass fitted into the anchor locker. I mounted it on a piece of chopping board cut to shape to keep the base from sitting in standing water- see other threads re base corrosion.
You will need to enlarge the hole that allows the chain to drop and drill new holes for the base fixing bolts.
I used the existing wiring/ remote control but fitted a new contactor (solenoid) on the inside of the fore peak bulkhead. From memory the Lofrans windlass has 3 wires, rather than the 4 wires to your existing windlass. Easy to figure out once you fit the new contactor.
Not a difficult job, but allow plenty of time.
The Lofrans windlass is so much better than the Lewmar, it’s worth the effort.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
I’ve made the same change to my B39 2006- a very good decision!
The Lofrans windlass fitted into the anchor locker. I mounted it on a piece of chopping board cut to shape to keep the base from sitting in standing water- see other threads re base corrosion.
I used the existing wiring/remote control but fitted a new contactor (solenoid) on the inside of the fore peak bulkhead. From memory the Lofrans windlass has 3 wires, rather than the 4 wires to your existing windlass.
The Lofrans windlass is so much better than the Lewmar, it’s worth the effort.
“a very good decision”- Absolutely, my B36(2002) had the Lofrans Cayman 88, and the only problems I had with it were a very mild case of base corrosion, which hopefully was stopped when I lifted the machine out and primed and painted the underneath. The only other problem was with the Bavaria wiring loom already in place from the boat builders, where in those days they had used ordinary copper cabling. The signal cabling had corroded throughout its entire length after only eight years, such that the signal for up or down from the hand controller just didn’t make it back to the solenoid. Changing to tinned copper signal cable made all the difference and was still working ten years after I had changed to tinned wires. I also invested in an ebay £10 radio control system which while it might have cut out the need for a hand or foot controller, that system was left in place and was tested periodically.

The bit about the three wires is correct, you have heavy cabling to carry the current needed to run the windlass up or down, but need only a single negative and two positive cables, one +ve for up and the other for down. The same applies to the signal wires where again you only need three of them. In this case the signal wires all carry positive current, namely one positive from the solenoid to the hand/foot controller, and one wire for up and another wire for down to carry the positive current back from the controller to the solenoid where it then energises the up or down solenoid chosen before the signal current then reaches the negative return within the solenoid.

From comments read within other areas of the forum, the impression I have got is that the Lewmar windlass is a bit fragile and doesn't stand up to the wear and tear imposed on them, whereas the Lofrans is a very sturdily built machine with the longevity of the fabled brick built outside toilet !!

umu

• Second Mate
If I remember properly the Lewmar winch only has two wires connected - presumably the Lewmar solenoid reversing the voltage for the other direction.
Anybody got an idea if/how this might be adapted for the 3-wire Cayman ?
Would really like to avoid Re-running cables...

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Bypass the Lewmar contactor, which is normally above the chart table and fit the new Lofrans contactor behind the fore peak lining on the anchor locker bulkhead. The 3 wires from the Cayman are long enough to reach the contactor in the new position and no need to change any other wiring.
You probably need to fit a higher rated fuse.
The only unexpected we found was that this arrangement bypassed the anchor switch on the control panel.

umu

• Second Mate
Excellent, thanks a lot!