Author Topic: Oven hob intermittently hard to light.  (Read 1357 times)

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Oven hob intermittently hard to light.
« on: January 14 2021, 12:55 »
Whilst in lockdown I suspect a lot of boat owners are doing what they can to prepare for sailing (as and when).

One slight problem I have is the forward hob on my cooker.   It intermittently fails to light and one has to hold the control knob in for much longerr than normal.

Initially I suspected a thermocouple problem but the fault is intermittent!!!   When I left the boat last Autumn, all was functioning normally.

Please could you helpful people comment on this ?

SYJetzt

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46
  • Boat Year: 2005
Re: Oven hob intermittently hard to light.
« Reply #1 on: January 14 2021, 15:02 »
1) Check if burner has sufficient flames at the position of the thermocople sensor. Sometimes cooking remnants in the burner  reduce the strenght of flame on this position
2) Check if thermocouple sensor is on the correct mounting position
3) Maybe  bad electrical contact of thermocouple loop in gas tap. Sometimes slightly knocking on gas tap will help.
Good luck

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
« Reply #2 on: January 19 2021, 17:14 »
Depends on the name of the cooker as to the details....
On the original Bavaria badged Techimpex cooker, the burners are made of cast iron and retained in place by a steel screw.  If possible, remove the screw and clean the holes in the burner.  They’re often slightly blocked by rust or baked on cooking debris.  Use an appropriately sized screw driver or drill bit.  Do be careful doing this as if you sheer the retaining screw you’ll have to drill out the remains of the screw and retap the hole.  It can be done but it’s not easy (don’t ask how I know...).
Other makes of cooker don’t have the burner retained by a screw; you can simply lift the flame spreader cap and burner ring off the fitting and clean them.  Note that the cap is made of cast iron and over time rusts away to the extent that it’ll need replacement.  I’ve found on our Eno cooker that using a small triangular file on the burner removes any corrosion or burnt debris restoring normal function.

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #3 on: January 23 2021, 14:29 »
Thanks guys.