Author Topic: Calorifier heat up time (Volvo D1-20 / Bav 30)  (Read 1664 times)

catlotion

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Calorifier heat up time (Volvo D1-20 / Bav 30)
« on: December 28 2020, 10:30 »
Does anyone know the optimum time to run the engine to get a full tank of hot water please?  I have a QL calorifier in my Bavaria 30 cruiser heated by a fresh water cooled Volvo D1-20.   

Not sure on the size of the tank though as I can't find it listed in the specs (an important factor I know)

Rampage

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2000
Re: Calorifier heat up time (Volvo D1-20 / Bav 30)
« Reply #1 on: December 28 2020, 11:27 »
We have a 2030 and a 25l calorifier: it takes about half an hour for the water to get to the same temp as the engine.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 28 2020, 11:31 »
Depends how you run the engine.  If you are running on load (i.e. driving the boat), it will heat up much quicker than if the engine is just running in neutral.

Craig

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 28 2020, 22:27 »
Rampage and Island Alchemy's comments are spot on.

It really depends on how hot you want the water as well and how long you want it to last.

You may wish to consider spraying polyurethane foam around the cylinder to increase the insulation. It is a cheap way to keep your water hotter for longer.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #4 on: December 29 2020, 04:45 »
Rampage and Island Alchemy's comments are spot on.

It really depends on how hot you want the water as well and how long you want it to last.

You may wish to consider spraying polyurethane foam around the cylinder to increase the insulation. It is a cheap way to keep your water hotter for longer.

Craig
"Shirley Valentine"
Gold Coast
Australia

Also adding insulation around the water supply pipes between the calorifier and your heads and galley taps or faucets, and not forgetting the supply lines to your deck shower. Every thing you do to help retain the heat in the water up to the point where that hot water is actually used, will help to minimise the amount of hot water needed. Often both hot and cold water pipes run alongside each other, making it difficult to insert pre-shaped foam insulation, but an alternative would be to use roll of insulating material, and wrap it around both pipes to make a single bundle if you are unable to separate them sufficiently.

catlotion

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 30 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #5 on: December 29 2020, 12:54 »
Thanks everyone.  Ah yes, run under load.  Insulation good tip. I might be able to squeeze some in.

The thing I observed was that although the water got hot pretty quick it didn't generate much volume of hot water unless engine or immersion was on for a while.  I'd have thought that it would heat the tank fairly equally so you'd get warmish washer increasing until thermostat cuts in...?  Suppose you get hot spots around the pipes though...