Author Topic: IMO Calls Boat and Yacht Owners Worldwide to take part in a global survey  (Read 2548 times)

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Hi all, one of my ship surveying friends has passed this survey on to me, it is a global survey on how yacht and boat owners deal with fouling on their craft. It is part of a major project to help address the spread of aquatic invasive species. The survey can be found at https://www.glofouling.imo.org

Being pretty fed up with the way that antifouling paints generally cost so much but achieve so little, I felt this survey just might help, even if only to stop the spread of these invasive species. The survey is global, so even if your boat is in some remote corner of a vast ocean, your input would be appreciated.

The web address again is https://www.glofouling.imo.org

ICENI

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 32
  • Boat Year: 2002
Hi Salty,

Yes this problem is worrying and I think most responsible boat owners are concerned about it.

I bought my Bavaria last year and moved it between the first and second lockdowns from Cornwall to my mooring in Suffolk.   As there were many years of antifouling on her, I left things as they were and made the passage.   I found that whilst in Greece in my old boat the fact that the boat was moving most days, just a light coat of A/F was fine and did the job.

The main reason I did not antifoul this year was because of time constraints ( the virus) and also that I wanted to strip the boat below the waterline later and thought adding more was pretty well a waste of time!

You would be amazed at how little crud was on the hull after she was lifted out at the end of October!

fjoe

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: 30 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2007
Strict law in the Netherlands: Only approved and listed antifouling is allowed (penalty up to 2500 EUR). Tests are showing that these AF do not work in salty water.