Author Topic: Transport of the future  (Read 3034 times)

Odysseus

• Old Salt
  • Bill and Linda
    • www.scanmar-odysseus.co.uk
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 38
  • Boat Year: 2006
Transport of the future
« on: November 25 2020, 11:37 »
I havs decided this year to update my transport on the boat, we have 2 bikes on board which are used mainly for supermarket shopping, also trips out to the beach. I worked out that only once have we done more than 15 miles, so now i have an electric scooter, aovo pro, its impressive to say the least. Carries on on board and stores in locker easy, charges up in 4 hours from near flat. Build quality looks very good. So to date very satisfying,  easy to take home at end of season and one bike up for sale.
Odysseus
Bav 38
Odysseus

Zavaria

• Swab
Re: Transport of the future
« Reply #1 on: December 16 2020, 10:38 »
I would prefer electric bikes. I also like the scooters, but with the bikes you can just do more. Not only is the range greater, the bikes can also be used in the terrain. At least if it's a mountain bike. The bikes are faster and better for traffic too. The brakes on the scooters have often put me in dicey situations.

seagran

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 46 Style
  • Boat Year: 2018
« Reply #2 on: December 29 2020, 13:22 »
Thats actually a good idea! My nephew got an electric scooter for Christmas this year and talked every familymember into driving it at least once. After some starter problems I did quite well on it and had great fun  ;D. Now as you mentioned the smal storage measures its actually a cool idea to have on board. Until now we always carried our shopping by foot...

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #3 on: January 12 2021, 21:34 »
Hi
What about the legal side! Not allowed on road or pavement.🤔
Mick

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: January 13 2021, 07:56 »
In many EU countries electric scooters like in the original post above (without a seat) are allowed with some limitations. Typical limitations are:
  • Speed limit e.g. 20km/h, this applies to max regulated or available speed of the board
  • power limit, e.g. 1000W
  • Helmet may be mandatory
  • Front light, side & rear reflectors mandatory
  • Signaling device, like your fog-horn or preferably a bike bell  :D
  • Use may be limited to the same areas as bikes, or allowed also on pedestrian areas like in Finland

Did not however find a comprehensive list of regulations across typical cruising countries. There seems to be a recent review at https://kluwerlawonline.com/JournalArticle/European+Energy+and+Environmental+Law+Review/29.4/EELR2020036 but I do not have access to this legal review publication. Any lawyers here that could provide a summary?

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina

The Other Woman

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36 Holiday
  • Boat Year: 1999
« Reply #5 on: January 13 2021, 08:58 »
Nice one tommi   :D

Well now that we are no longer in the EU :(I
This is what I have found

Where can electric scooters be used?
It’s illegal to use them on public roads, on pavements, in cycle lanes and in pedestrian-only areas. The reason for this is that electric scooters are currently classed as ‘powered transporters’ by the government and fall under the same laws and regulations that apply to all motor vehicles. This makes their use on pavements, in cycle lanes and in pedestrian-only areas illegal straightaway and use on public roads would only be legal if electric scooters could meet the same requirements as motor vehicles (e.g. in terms of insurance, tax, license, registration), which they can’t.

So conclusive is

Don't sail to England with your electricity scooter not only you are not allowed ( covid 19 ) but you might get an hefty fine. :cop

Happy New Year
Mick

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
« Reply #6 on: January 13 2021, 15:24 »
Hi
What about the legal side! Not allowed on road or pavement.🤔
Mick

In Sicily, nobody cares. You may get killed by a car of course, but the same applies for cyclists, pedestrians or rental cars (bit safer though) :)
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

sy_Anniina

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 40
« Reply #7 on: August 18 2021, 14:32 »
fNew information for this old thread about e-scooters and their legal position. Found as I was searching info where I can drive my new toy :)

https://www.halfords.com/scooters/expert-advice/planet-e-scooter.html Scooter maufacturer and their UK distributor has done some research and the interactive map coves many countries regarding legal status of e-scooters. Unfortunately for many of us, the Mediterranean coast is largely at "no information" status.

Not shown at map, but I have found info elsewhere - in Estonia you can use max 25km/h e-scooter with same rules as bike - so not allowed on pedestrians-only areas

BR,

Tommi
s/y Anniina