Author Topic: Adding more clutches to a Bavaria 36  (Read 3046 times)

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Adding more clutches to a Bavaria 36
« on: November 10 2020, 15:26 »
I know this has been mentioned elsewhere but I have a spinnaker halyard that I mainly use to haul the dinghy onboard but I’d like to run it to a winch

Clearly I can double up on the Rutgerson organiser , but the only place for a extra clutch is outboard of the bank of 4 existing ones and this is clearly off the “ raised moulded area “ and no doubt off the backing plate

Any ideas what’s possible

As a second question , my Bavaria , ( new to me ) came with a single extra jamming block on the port side , right aft and a double jamming block on the s/board side also aft  , she has no pole hardware but are these set up for a spinnaker or cruising chute  ?  Why two jammers ?  ( pole down ? ) there’s no pole up routing afaik

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
Re: Adding more clutches to a Bavaria 36
« Reply #1 on: November 10 2020, 16:14 »
Sorry badly phrased the 2nd question   I know the boat has occasionally flown a cruising chute , so I presume the aft jammers  are for the sheets

It’s the double jammer that has me puzzled. Tack line ? , but seems wrongly positioned for that

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: November 13 2020, 20:29 »
I realised this was an owner add on so I think it has no function

The original purchase shows a paid for option of the spinnaker halyard led aft , but there are no spare clutches ?

I wonder how extra lines run aft were to be accomadated

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: 37 Cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
« Reply #3 on: November 16 2020, 04:57 »
This is what I did.
I added another sheave at the base of the mast, added a 4x deck organiser, and another 3clutch.
I also moved the traveller jammer further aft.

Moodymike

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 16 2020, 10:06 »
How is the traveller jammer fixed to the coachroof.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #5 on: November 17 2020, 22:00 »
The traveller jammers are secured using sikaflex and SS screws installed into a predrilled hole.

when i first installed them, i thought they may need to be re-install later using a backing plate/bolt/nut, this there has been no problem.

Boat has been regularly raced twcie a week for past 4 years, and coast cruising when we get a chance.

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
« Reply #6 on: November 18 2020, 22:25 »
Surely you need a backing plate

Is there a way to access the underside of the deck organiser and also the clutch area , looks to me like I’d have to remove a section of the inner liner in the heads ( 2 cabin Bavaria 36 )

symphony2

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B33
  • Boat Year: 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 18 2020, 23:00 »
The factory fit clutches attach with machine screws into tapped aluminium plates bonded into the deck. The plates are located in the flat areas where the clutches are, so you can only fit additional clutches if there is spare flat area - for example my 33 has space for 4 clutches either side, and I have 4 fitted on port but only 2 (for the mainsail furling line) on starboard, So I could fit another 2 if needed by drilling and tapping into the plate.

If you do want to fit something off the area where the plates are then as you say, you would expect to need to through bolt which means access to the underside. To do this you can either cut a section out of the liner and turn it into a panel to cover up afterwards, or drill holes for access just where the bolts will be and use some form of plastic plug to cover it.

What Konan is doing is relying on the selftappers and the adhesive properties of the Sika. The load of the traveller adjusting line is relatively low and is in sheer so this works - although I perhaps might have used epoxy in the screw holes as well. Not sure I would use this method for attaching clutches, although there is a method of creating what is effectively a threaded insert in the GRP using epoxy - well described in the West systems book. I added an extra clutch for the main halyard to the mast, rather than have an extra organiser to lead it back to the cockpit, and I drilled and tapped into the aluminium, but it is only full threads deep. As it is a furling sail there is no value in adjusting it while underway, so I made th halyard long enough to go back and added a turning block to the base of the mast so that I can lead it back to the cockpit winch when I install the sail.

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Year: 2002
« Reply #8 on: November 19 2020, 05:35 »
Going on from Symphony2’s posting, if you have had to drill out the remains of an old bolt that had broken off within the area of the aluminium backing plate, or needed to fit something with a thread in it to receive a bolt from a new attachment, but where the attachment point is beyond the area of the aluminium backing plate, you can also use something known as a “Rivet Nut,” or “Rivnut.”  These are inserted through a hole and are fixed in place rather like a pop rivet and with a tool similar to that used for pop riveting, but note that I said similar, not the “same as.” Be aware though that if whatever you are fixing is only being fixed into glass fibre, that while the Rivet Nut will extend the load area to give it a better chance of holding, I doubt if it will afford the same degree of security that fixing into an aluminium backing plate might give. Rivet Nuts are available in several different different materials including aluminium, and in different sizes to accept a wide range of bolt sizes.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #9 on: November 21 2020, 00:45 »
Yes, Symphony is right, it relies on the sheer on the screw, and the sikaflex.The screw fitting was very tight at the time.

I have sailed my B37 for the the past 5 years with this setup, both racing (mostly) and some coastal cruising. Without sounding like a hero, we race in all weather conditions, and it is yet to look like its wants to move.

Konan the Bavarian

• First Mate
« Reply #10 on: November 22 2020, 09:43 »
..... and yes the clutches are screwed into the aluminium backing