Author Topic: autopilot installation, where to take the power from  (Read 2443 times)

Per

• Swab
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 33
  • Boat Year: 2013
autopilot installation, where to take the power from
« on: November 10 2020, 13:04 »
Hi Bavaria friends,

I am about to install an autopilot on a Cruiser 33, 2013. Do you know what is the most common way to power the hydraulic drive? I have a free fuse on the 301 panel (F5). Can I take the power from here or should I take it directly from the battery via a relay?

Salty

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2002
Re: autopilot installation, where to take the power from
« Reply #1 on: November 10 2020, 19:25 »
Mine used a spare unused switch on the main distribution panel, and was wired from the appropriate numbered take off point located on the panel between the switchboard and the hull. This power supply then went direct to the course computer located in one of the aft cabins, and then from the course computer to the steering motor, but also with other connections from that computer to the fluxgate compass, and also to the autopilot control instrument.

Per

• Swab
« Reply #2 on: November 13 2020, 09:50 »
Thanks for reply. Will do the same then. Go directly from the panel spare fuse to the autopilot "computer".

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 13 2020, 21:41 »
Thanks for reply. Will do the same then. Go directly from the panel spare fuse to the autopilot "computer".

No, not directly from the panel spare fuse, that is already wired to a numbered take off point located on a board behind and separated from the main switchpanel. That separated board is as I have already described located between the switchboard or panel, and the inside of the hull. Each of the connection points is numbered so that you can recognise which connection point is connected to which control switch. That way your new wiring follows exactly the example already set by Bavaria’s in house electricians, and prevents your wiring  turning into a hotchpotch of wires as is so often seen on second hand boats.

Per

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: November 15 2020, 18:17 »
Hi,
Not quit sure what you mean. I have attached a picture of the backside of the 301 panel and circled in the F5 spare fuse. There are no other cables there. Or do I totally misunderstand? :-)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 15 2020, 20:50 »
I’m going to ask a question about your photo of the inside of the door first. I’ve taken a screen shot of your photo, and I have drawn a yellow circle around what I think is a connection for plugging in a lead which would take the outputs from the various switches to another area on your boat, is that correct, and have you disconnected the wiring harness from the inside of your door before taking your photograph?
If I’m making the correct assumption, you need to follow that plug in lead to see where individual wires at the other end of that lead go to. The Bavaria I used to have until two months ago but have now sold, did not have a plug in connection to the inside of the switchboard door. Instead the cable lead was hard wired from the switches on the switchboard, to another board placed against the inside of the hull. On that separate board there were a collection of numbered connections for the user to connect additional equipment to. The numbers shown against each of those connections was a repeat of the number allocated to the relevant switch shown on the outside of the door.. It may be that your boat has a different style of switchboard, but it would be worthwhile to check to see if you have a similar set up.

Per

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: November 16 2020, 13:32 »
Hi Salty,

Tnx a lot for your reply. You are probably correct since the picture was taken from the internet. Now I understand what you mean. I will follow those outputs next time I am in the boat:-)

Salty

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 16 2020, 15:16 »
Ok, that makes sense now.
Going back to your original query, I would not recommend taking power directly from the battery unless your autopilot manufacturers installation instructions specifically advise you to do that. Things start to get complicated onboard when owners install wiring that bypasses the systems already provided such as battery master switches which essentially enable you to shut off all power from all circuits.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #8 on: November 20 2020, 02:42 »
Per,
If you have the manual for the 301 panel, actually nominates using wire/terminal 6 from the plug 8. Plug 8 is the lower left hand plug in the plugs Salty circled.
If you do not have a copy of the 301 manual you can down load it from this forum.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009