Author Topic: B39 hull port leaking  (Read 2026 times)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
B39 hull port leaking
« on: October 22 2020, 07:28 »
The midships hull ports on our B39 2006 have been leaking for some time. The forward and aft ports seem ok.
I suspect the problem is the seal between the port and hull when the hull flex’s, though it could be between the glass and frame.  Has anyone had the same problem?
Would removing the frames and re-bedding on Butyl Tape be the answer & if so what thickness?

artemis

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: B39 hull port leaking
« Reply #1 on: October 22 2020, 12:05 »
Hi There

I had the same problem with my Bav 34 leaking in the fwd cabin when I removed the toe rail I found there was NO sealant between the deck and hull in some areas, I then removed all the existing sealant and then re-bedded the complete yacht with Arbomeric MP20, (deck to Hull joint) I've not had a problem since and that was back in 2007. Ok I've had some leaks with people pulling at Stanchions and re-bedded them but I use a pliable stuff they use on caravan joints (cannot remember the name sorry) you will get it at caravan dealers I use this also for cleat's etc.

I Hope this helps but I'm sure there will be other who might know better stuff.

Recommended sealant is Arbomeric MP20 with Arbo Primer 2650.
Primer 2650 is recommended on the Marine ply. Don’t get it on the GRP.

Mike
Artemis

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 22 2020, 13:15 »
Any low-modulus adhesive/sealant will do for the hull/deck joint

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 22 2020, 15:20 »
My leak is definitely thro the Hull Port, not the deck/ hull joint.

Clivert

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 34
  • Boat Year: 2001
« Reply #4 on: October 22 2020, 17:02 »
On my 2001 B34 the starboard hull Port light was leaking.
It is sealed with foam tape.
To take it out and replace it you need a G-clamp or a couple of long stud and nuts.
Unscrew the bolts and the inner and out hull will spring apart.
In my case the foam had twisted at some time.
Replace the foam tape and then using the G-clamp or long studs to draw it all together until you can get the bolts back in.
Slowly tighten the bolts and this will give a waterproof seal.
I did this 8 years ago and have had no problems since.

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 22 2020, 17:19 »
My leak is definitely thro the Hull Port, not the deck/ hull joint.

Then remove it, clear out the old foam seal, put a big bead of Abromast BR (Butyl) around the frame, re-fit, and then clear the excess butyl off with a solvent.  You'll never have to do it again.

Mirror45184

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Cruiser 40
  • Boat Year: 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 24 2020, 01:58 »
The following was sent to me for a 2009 B40 Cruiser leaking forward hull window.
Solution.

Remove plastic insert. It is attached with Velcro.
Undo bolts and remove window completely (you will require a person in the dinghy or on a wharf to assist or it could drop out)
You will find that the hatch was sealed with a foam tape.
When window is removed place on flat surface and fill with water to test if window is leaking between glass and rubber.
If it is and the yacht is still under warranty it is best to request replacement window. Photos will be required to prove leak and serial number of window.

If yacht is not under warranty and you do not wish to purchase new window you can attempt the following. Undo the screws and carefully pull apart the window being careful not to bend the joiners.
When removing rubber from glass, be careful not to stretch or kink rubber.
Coat rubber in lanolin grease or silicon grease and re-insert around glass but be careful not to pinch rubber when sliding frame back into place, ensuring a good snug fit.
Do up frame and then test with water by filling frame and rubber with water and see if it leaks through.

To fit back into the hull, completely remove all foam tape and clean completely. Run a bead of sikaflex/silicon or similar around hull where frame will be inserted.

Insert Window into hull and do up bolts a bit at a time crossing diagonally from bolt to bolt. Do not over tighten or you will squeeze out all the silicon.  Wait 24 hours and then hand tighten all bolts. (what you are trying to do is create a gasket and completely seal the window. There is always some flex in hull under sailing conditions and having sufficient sikaflex between the hull and the fame will allow flexing with out water ingress.
Replace plastic insert.

THe key step is to allow the silicon/sika/sealant to cure for 24 hours which creates a more flexible seal.
Cheers
Mark Hutton
SV SYnergy
B40 Cruiser 2009

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 24 2020, 07:36 »
Thanks Mirror- that’s really helpful!

IslandAlchemy

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 24 2020, 10:55 »
Only comment on Mirror's post is don't use Sika or silicone. Use Butyl.