Author Topic: Engine Wiring  (Read 1422 times)

Tsb

• Swab
Engine Wiring
« on: October 17 2020, 11:58 »
Hi All,

Another question regarding a 2003 Ocean 40 CC. I have a couple of concerns in the engine bay. It's a D2-55. Firstly the corrosion on what I assume is the neutral cable (this is not my forte so any education here is greatly appreciated) on the port side of the engine. Is this indicative of anything larger going on or would it be a case of cleaning up the corrosion and replacing the bolt and lug? Also the Port side engine mount doesn't look great but I'm thinking this is a case of simply swapping it out. Photos attached.

Thanks as always

Yngmar

• Administrator
  • Boat Model: 40 Ocean
  • Boat Year: 2001
Re: Engine Wiring
« Reply #1 on: October 17 2020, 13:44 »
Looks like dissimilar metal corrosion in the presence of seawater. It's important to keep the engine bay dry and clean up any seawater spills (like from impeller changes or leaky hoses) thoroughly, so all salt residue is removed. Salt is hygroscopic and will attract moisture from the air above 75% relative humidity, so even if it looks dry  you need to remove the salt crystals either by wiping or washing them off. Disused boats suffer from this more, as they're likely to sit around humid and unheated and spills may go unnoticed for a long time.

Definitely do clean up the electrical connections. You will likely find the cables to be green with copper corrosion and thus if the crimp connectors need replacing and not just cleaning up, the cables will too (or at least cleaning up the corrosion before re-crimping with a new shoe).

The engine mount function is related to the condition of the rubber inside, the corrosion is superficial and can be cleaned up, then treated with some rust converter paint and then painted over, if the rubber is still good that'll do the job.

As all of the corrosion is on the port side, check for leaks, although it may have been damage from an old leak. Give the area a thorough clean.
Sailing Songbird  ⛵️ Bavaria 40 Ocean (2001)

Tsb

• Swab
Re: Engine Wiring
« Reply #2 on: October 18 2020, 13:32 »
Thanks Yngmar,

Ive watched your youtube videos and keep up to date with your blog. Will hopefully be an Ocean CC owner soon. Appreciate your time.

Cheers