Author Topic: Dinghy Patch Fitting- remove and refix.  (Read 1700 times)

Lazy Pelican

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 39
  • Boat Year: 2006
Dinghy Patch Fitting- remove and refix.
« on: October 20 2020, 13:01 »
One of the Snap David Patch Fittings on our PVC dinghy is debonding, so I need to remove, clean and reglue. It was originally fixed using 2 part adhesive.
Am I right in thinking a hot air gun will soften the existing adhesive allowing the fitting to be removed without damage to the dinghy?
Once removed what is the easiest way to clean the area? I could use a flap disk on the patch fitting but what about the prepping the dinghy ?
I’ll reglueing using 2 pt adhesive, but how to apply consistent pressure?

diverphil

• Able Seaman
  • Boat Model: 33 cruiser
  • Boat Year: 2006
Re: Dinghy Patch Fitting- remove and refix.
« Reply #1 on: October 21 2020, 19:49 »
hi, when we have patched the dive rib (hypolon tubes) yes a bit of heat will soften the glue but not to hot or it melts the tube, then clean off with sandpaper and skuff it up a bit
, make sure to get it all off, folowed by a clean off with meths or alcohol (dont use thinners as it can melt plastic) then we use 2 pack glue (bostic 2402) just type into google 'drysiut glue' and it will come up.
i would assume that as its a patch fitting that there is no hole under it and is bonded to the outside of the tube, so you can glue it on while the tube is still inflated.
just a last word of caution, get it in the right position first time, this stuff is contact glue and i belive also used to fit de icing boots to wings and props on some planes, once it touches it dosent let go.
as ive found out replacing wrist seals on my suits before :'(
hope this helps
regards
phil

Keweetoo

• First Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 35E
  • Boat Year: 1999
Re: Dinghy Patch Fitting- remove and refix.
« Reply #2 on: October 23 2020, 16:23 »
Another tip when using Bostik 2402 two part glue is to apply pressure immediate after contact using a small wallpaper roller available in DIY stores.
Mike