Author Topic: Below deck autopilot arm dimensions  (Read 1990 times)

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
  • Boat Model: Bavaria 36
  • Boat Year: 2003
Below deck autopilot arm dimensions
« on: October 15 2020, 08:39 »
Hi , a newbie here , well newbie to Bavarias . I am  fitting a linear drive autopilot to replace the stupid wheel pilot on a 2003 Bavaria 36

As I am not near my boat currently , any one know what arm length is usually fitted , or what what Raymarine version is commonly used . I am fitting mine from the quadrant to the bulkhead on the Port side , i have seen this config several times on charter Bavaria36

I will be using a Jefa arm but I can work back from the Ray specs

Thanks

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
Re: Below deck autopilot arm dimensions
« Reply #1 on: October 16 2020, 20:53 »
Assuming a Type 1 linear drive then according to the installation manual  the arm radius should be 250mm (center of rudder post to link point at end of arm)
Below is a link to my record of this installation. There is a photo in it of the arm that I fabricated according to drawings that can be found on the Jefa site.
http://www.sylyra.com/linear_drive_installation_e.php
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
« Reply #2 on: October 17 2020, 17:17 »
Thank you very much

Would you know what throw is needed from the linear drive , I’m attaching to the quadrant

Could you also point to the instructions for changing the st4000 to st5000 mode

Lyra

• Old Salt
  • Boat Model: B36
  • Boat Year: 2004
« Reply #3 on: October 19 2020, 07:51 »
I am not sure I understood - are you attaching to the quadrant or adding a small tiller? in both cases the Raymarine Type 1 requires a radius of 250mm. The throw  for the type1 is 300mm end to end.
By the way, there was a point where I though of attaching to the quadrant, but I discarded this idea - can't remember now if it was due to tight space for installation, problematic angles, or another reason.
Attached is the installation manual, which may help you plan the installation.
As for the setup -  if memory serves me right it is not "changing" the 4000 to 5000 - the firmware is simply identical, and as far as I remember I just followed the setup procedure as it appears in the ST5000 manual (attached), and it was a simple matter of changing it from "wheel" to "tiller" or something like that. It should be in the "dealer setup" section. I suggest you look into your unit before deciding since this possibility is firmware dependent. My boat is 2004 and the firmware was OK.
S/Y Lyra
B36 / 2004

Goboatingnow

• Second Mate
« Reply #4 on: October 20 2020, 16:19 »
I’m attaching to the quadrant , I’ve seen several Raymarine type 1 arms done so on Bavaria 36s